Coldstartadvance.help me trick my truck

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having problems due to a crack in passengers exhaust mani except when first started cold and advance is on so was wondering a way to keep it running?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Crack in exhaust manifold will in no way effect the way it runs.
Except possible lower boost.
Where's it idle rpm wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tach is weird...works but doesn't show rpms till u raise them to 7 or 800 I'm guessing

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it chokes on fuel because of no boost at idle

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Runs decent with foot on gas or when start up cold

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would love to know about cold start advance but really need more Confidence on the exhaust bolts coming out and new banks Dp going in

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was overhauled in 05 engine repainted Grey and I believe manifolds were taken out since some bolts on it are 1/2 and others I think 7/16s? Forgot but how easy should they come back out after 10 yrs?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Tach is weird...works but doesn't show rpms till u raise them to 7 or 800 I'm guessing

Sounds like the idle is set way too low.

Well it chokes on fuel because of no boost at idle

Not really possible with a diesel.

Would love to know about cold start advance but really need more Confidence on the exhaust bolts coming out and new banks Dp going in

If you soak the bolts with some penetration spray for a few days while driving it, they should come out okay. But expect to probably break at least one.
If you have the banks turbo, there's really not any bolts you need to take out to put the banks downpipe out. Just the v-band clamp, then I'd just cut it at the bottom. That slip fitting can be a ******.

To pull the exhaust manifold you will need to probably just cut the exhaust flange bolts. Or just snap them off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the idle being set too low. Sounds like you are idling fine while it is cold and the high idle solenoid is activated, but once warm enough to kick this out (and the cold advance) it drops the idle too much.

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crack in manifold makes it smoke off high idle...I used blue magic patch kit and it gets the turbo cryin again till it warms up

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
crack in manifold will not affect the way it idles. either idle set to low or air in fuel lines, need more info on what exactly the truck does, gps cycle fine? does it fire right up or does it sputter, I just put a turbo on mine and it makes zero boost at idle and zero boost driving like a grandpa, diesels are not like gasolines where we have a specific air fuel ratio. if the turbo wheel doesn't turn when engine is running turbo is shot. I can throw guesses all day but without some good info that's all they are.

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fires right up every time when cold but when she warms up it sputters blue/grey when I'm not on the throttle.

kendawg69a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used a hi temp blue magic cold weld paste and got the truck sealed up for a day or so...ran like a ***** ape and turbo cried when cold...no smoke no sputtering but didn't let it cure long enough so it eventually cracked and got worse. Got it sitting in heated garage with fresh paste on it, bolts soaking in Wd40. Will run it to get it hot and soak the bolts again b4 I crack them loose. Bolts aren't factory but still 10 years since manifolds were off the truck