Cold weather warm up times.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you do a write up on it?
Thats what I'm wondering. Are the timing advance and high idle controlled together, or seperately?

Put auxiliary power to the high idle, and the advance gets power too?

I would like to atleast put in a manual override switch like ironworker40 mentions, so that I could bump up the idle if I needed to sometime. Maybe even make the thing manual all the time, so I can kick out the high idle sooner when I want to drive away.

What is the way around the timing advance?

Surely someone has found a solution to this.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a write up on this in the IDI tech articles. You will be able to flip a switch, push down on the throttle a bit and set your fast idle manually. Flip the switch off and the fast idle solenoid kicks down to regualr idle speed. I have done this mod and it is easy and I recommend it. Lets you kick up the idle rpm when idling and helps prevent "wet-stacking" in the cylinders.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.oilburners.net/articles/high idle override.htm

So to be sure I am understanding this system properly, both the high idle and timing advance will operate as normal, and will shut off at 120, but the high idle can also be manually activated with the flip of a switch, and the diode prevents power from going to the timing advance. Thus the switch only controls the high idle, and can be turned on whenever I desire.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Additionally, is there any reason to put a manual control on the timing advance? Is it bad to drive before the advance has kicked out, or is it ok to just let that work on its own?

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, I let my pig idle 20-30 minutes when it's in single to 20 out. Haven't had to brush snow off the windows yet this winter. Worth it to me.

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Additionally, is there any reason to put a manual control on the timing advance? Is it bad to drive before the advance has kicked out, or is it ok to just let that work on its own?

You want the timing advance to kick out after the truck has warmed up a bit - the timing advance is there to help make the truck easier to start when cold and help with cold warm up. Once the engine warms, the advance kicks out for the normal timing. If the timing were advanced all the time (or for extended periods) bad things happen. Others will chime in but probably ******* pistons and wrist pins if the ignition pulse takes place too early - think detonation in a gasser. No need to control the timing advance manually as far as I can tell. This fast idle mod will allow the fast idle solenoid to operate normally and kick down at temp. as usual, or turn on the switch and activate the fast idle solenoid whenever you want to. Turn off the switch and it kecks back down to normal idle speed. When you do turn on the switch, you have to set the fast idle by pressing the throttle just like you do when starting the truck. Everybody has there opinion on how long to warm a truck up before driving. I take it easy on it in this cold weather while driving the first few miles. With the advance on, there is clatter. Don't hammer on it when the advance is on.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, I let my pig idle 20-30 minutes when it's in single to 20 out. Haven't had to brush snow off the windows yet this winter. Worth it to me.
"idle 20-30 minutes" = a total waste of expensive fuel.
At $4.65 per gallon (here) I can't afford to idle too long, besides I can't imagine it's a good thing with a cold engine.
During our recent single digit temps I'll give it a few minutes high idle, get it moving and then take it easy until some temp builds.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Them northerners had a great tip, when idling, put the tcase in neutral and the trans in gear. (Manual trans only)
Makes a huge difference in how my truck shifts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll try that.... What does that do that makes a difference?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Heats up the trans. Shifts smoother sooner.
Puts slight load on engine. Probably not enough to matter though.

rockbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got both my high idle and cold advance set up on the same switch. I typically let it idle for 20-30 seconds before rolling out slowly down the driveway, and then am able to manually turn it off before pulling on to the main drag. I don't have a need for a separate high idle, but really like the manual control for starting and warm up.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
My method:

Start the truck, give it 20-30 seconds to build oil pressure, then bring the rpms up by pushing on the pedal and holding it. Probably 1/4 throttle. I hold it, using the turbo to help warm it up (or so i've heard). Takes around 3-5 minutes. High idle kicks off, and it's more quiet.

Is this bad? I read a while ago it helps the high idle to basically act as it, rather then waiting for it to kick off.

Hope this isn't like a "what type of oil to use" war. I'd rather assist my older engine then harm it.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"idle 20-30 minutes" = a total waste of expensive fuel.
At $4.65 per gallon (here) I can't afford to idle too long, besides I can't imagine it's a good thing with a cold engine.
During our recent single digit temps I'll give it a few minutes high idle, get it moving and then take it easy until some temp builds.

True but actually only about $1 a gallon with my winter blend fuel. Not scraping snow is a luxury I choose.

20 minutes of idle time is almost a half gallon of fuel. I pulled the supply and return and put them in a jug. After 20 minutes it used a little less than half.

I know I can't pay any of the neighbor kids a couple bucks to clear my windows

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
That doesn't sound right. I mean could be.
But so you started with X amount in the supply jug, ran 20 minutes, then added the return fuel to the supply fuel and subtracted that from the original X amount in the supply jug?