Coffee can throwaway

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, since my cruise control has been long removed can I eliminate the reserve reservior and 20 miles of extra hose, or does it help for braking reserve? I'd like to make some room for relocating a few things. Thanks.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I thought it had something to do with the "Resume" function in the cruise control...I don't think it's meant to be an overall vacuum reservoir (i.e. to feed the brake vacuum assist), but I could be wrong. You might be able to modify the system to make it into a reservoir for the brake booster if you wanted to, but again, I'm not sure...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its intended design is a reserve for the ctuise controll only. I suspose it can help the vacuum brakes too but thats not its intended design. Try this before you remove it completely. Remove the line at the vacuum manifold near the passenger side firewall and plug off the manifold nipple. Any autoparts store will have a varity pack of rubber caps. See if the vacuum brakes act differantly. If they do just remove cap and reinstall the vacuum hose. Now if there is no differance felt just remove the tomato can and plumbing...

sassyrel

Reaction score
keep it working!!!!! if the engine dies,there is NO vacuum being created.. the can has vacuum in it,,if the engine dies suddenly,,so the brakes will work a few times..

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep it working!!!!! if the engine dies,there is NO vacuum being created.. the can has vacuum in it,,if the engine dies suddenly,,so the brakes will work a few times..

I didnt think about that. Maybe I'll just move it back towards the cab a few inches. I'm wanting to move my washer bottle and coolant reservoir, so I can put my air intake in place of them.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
On the side of the airbox there is also a built in vacuum "reserve" I removed the can and still have 2-3 pumps of vacuum with the engine shut down.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a small air tank from one of our buses and plumbed it as a vacuum reserve. It's maybe a one gallon tank but it is made of actual steel not some converted tin can. Cruise works great and my old vacuum boost master stops the truck with ease.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My power steering pump is other wise occupied with it's extra capacity. I have a 5 gallon reservoir mounted on the frame and a ball valve mounted under the hood to the pressure line running to the back of the truck. I don't need anymore hydraulic lines under my hood then I already have there.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If your can is shot, you can go to a boneyard and grab a newer plastic vacuum reservior off just about anything and you can string a few together, they are dirt cheap and the plastic ones won't rust out

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
my truck didnt have a can so i added a 1 gallon tank and an electric vacuum pump that way i can always have brakes

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
or....hydroboost and forget about all of it :sly:sly
Forgive me for pulling this thread into the weeds :angel: but just out of curiosity, how difficult was it to get the hydroboost working with the Cummins power steering pump? What all did you end up needing to do?

Thanks in advance :angel:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online