Clutches

rubberfish

Reaction score
Hey guys, looking for suggestions on what clutch to drop between a 12V and my Chevy 5 spd. If I can keep control of the bomb bug, I'll end up happy around 350-400hp. What are you running in your daily driver, and how do you like it? I'm not planning on hooking to a sled or anything, just hauling a camper and ****

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Take it to Piers, leave a blank check.:yell:

No really, I just had a South Bend Con OFE installed and drove it home. I'm real happy so far. It is the recommend clutch for your application, HP goals and you tow/haul. The petal is softer than before. While there I drove a 500+hp truck with the FE clutch. It was stiff, but not something you couldn't get used to. Much higher HP rating. It's more of an IN or OUT type clutch, but still driveable I thought.

Whit

Reaction score
Con OFE here too, love it and couldnt imagine having a better clutch than this!!! South Bend stands behind what they sell and that is worth alot these days.............Peter Rocks :)

B

Big K

Con OFE as soon as I have time. As this is a work truck, and I tow regularly, I plan to keep power levels down to what the chutch will be happy with, and avoid the aggressivness of the FE.

Haven't heard a negative word about SBC stuff.

94matt

Reaction score
Aw come on, the con FE ain't all that bad;)

Seriously though, I would have gone with the OFE and chanced that it would have held. I can't tell a difference from an OFE to a stock clutch, but then again, I think my FE is how a clutch should be:)

Matt

rubberfish

Reaction score
I've found out I can't run the Con OFE.
The Chev 5 spd is limited to a 1 1/4 input shaft so it looks like a Con O will have to do. Looks like it's good for 400hp. Good thing I'm not looking to hit 500+
I got some time to ponder over all this anyways since the 12V isn't between the fenders yet;) .

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
I think the numbers are conservative anyway. A friend here in town dyno's his '97 CTD between 520 and 550 hp and he's had no problems with his OFE. He pulls a 5'er with it, but doesn't race or sled pull. Piers told him the OFE will hold much more than 450 as long as it's not jambed on. LaserBob who did my install said "let the tires do the slipping". I responded with: :peelout

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OFE here - and I'm undynoed but I'd expect 450-460 RWHP and it holds tight! (My last dyno was 404 but I changed from DD2's to F1 Mach 2.4's)

Takes a little getting used to, chatters a bit off idle but the chatter goes away if you leave at 1000 RPM. Sometimes thats not and option in the rain here though.

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jackofalltrades
come on now Russ

Sorry... If I didnt hit at least 450rwhp I'd be quite dissapointed. I've known trucks to do 450 with DD3's and the identical setup (PDR HX35, Comp, Exhaust) to mine. My injectors fuel more than DD3's.... Looks like I need to dyno the damn thing...

FordCummins

Reaction score
I called Peter @ South Bend Clutch, told him I would be around 300-350 and tow about 8k. He sent a clutch which I'm happy with so far - Very lite on the foot and smooth to engage - Wife even likes it :D . Not sure what flavor it is and the paperwork only has stock numbers. It was definately organic and not ceramic or other material?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin