Chipped a tooth.

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well what I though was going to be a quick simple job has turned into a pain in the ass. Thought I should do a diff fluid change since the weather was decent outside today and my truck won't fit in my garage so outside it is. Got the diff cover off and noticed this.

You must be registered for see images

I'm not really too concerned because I didn't see any pieces of it anywhere and it's not marking the teeth it touches. But my very little knowledge with rear ends may prove me wrong. Any insight? So I put the cover back on and tweaked a brake line and it started to leak. So now everything is closed so brake line replacement tomorrow. I guess if it broke that easy it's kind of a blessing in disguise.

Also got some new shoes this weekend.

Sorry for the poor cell phone pic.
You must be registered for see images

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ouch thats nice if it were me ,, since you are running larger tires i would find replacements as soon as possible ,, from what i see they prolly wont last long with big tires and rompin on it

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Luckily it's only that one tooth. I'm really surprised that the pieces from it didn't run through the gears and destroy it. What could have caused this?

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like someone was out playing and got a heavy foot and dropped the clutch or a neutral drop , but anything could actually cause it from factory defect to time and wear ,, coulda had a micro crack in it ,, but kind looks like from what i see that its been kinda sheered not broke

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, definitely an impact break. I think this will be the beginning of my long road of knowledge in rear ends/gearing haha

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I have a nice "Featherlite" ladder haha

been there done that

put on a receiver under the front bumper and buy one of those receiver rack deals, it's the only thing I have one for (got mine at a garage sale for $40)

one of these things:

Attachments

• Receiver%20Rack.jpg
    Receiver%20Rack.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 4

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
been there done that

put on a receiver under the front bumper and buy one of those receiver rack deals, it's the only thing I have one for (got mine at a garage sale for $40)

one of these things:

You sir might be a genius lol

Weld it up and call it good, might as well have both rear tires turning all the time :)

mR

hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle