Check your Nuts!!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Walking by the drivers rear tire on the crew cab the other night and noticed a loose lug nut. Then noticed all of them were loose. No clue how long they've been loose, but glad I caught it when I did. So check your Nuts! I'll be putting on new wheels studs and a different wheel. Oh and checking all the other wheels.

Oblonged the wheel holes
You must be registered for see images attach

Studs have a wore spot in them. also some grease or something on the brake stuff. Have to investigate that.

See all the loose nuts.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Yep I second this. This happend because the tire installer didn't fully tighten the lugs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    940.2 KB · Views: 111

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes Sir. You have to check all the "Hexiform Rotatable Surface Compression Unit". Official Government description of a steel NUT.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has been and Oilburners Public Service Announcement.

;Sweet

Glad you caught that now. Would have been real bad to catch it at 70 on the freeway.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fricken under n over torqued nuts....hate goimg to shops n getting work done...hate it...trust no one with yer life.

Thinking bout those pointy dohickies for the"Hexiform Rotatable Surface Compression Units".to show if they back off or not

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
please be sure to investigate the loose nut behind the wheel as well!

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking bout those pointy dohickies for the"Hexiform Rotatable Surface Compression Units".to show if they back off or not

Yes. Just worked on a Class 8 truck with them thar dealies on it. Looked like a good idea.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
This happened to my Dad on one of our vans. The 85 had been in for a rotate, balance and alignment. (Normally done once a year, as the roads around where my parents live makes the moon look smooth)....

This was years ago, and the guy who owned the tire shop (Dad had been using this shop for years, and still does to this day) had just gotten a set of "Torque Sticks" from the "Red Truck". Dads van was one of the first vehicles they had used these on. A couple days later, Dad heard a noise from the rear of the van, and was just a few block from the shop. He drove it straight there, and as he was turning into the lot, one of the rear wheels passed him....... The torque sticks had not worked as advertised. The shop replaced the rim, studs and nuts. The owned went out, grabbed the pack of sticks from the shop, threw them in his desk drawer and said "well, he'll be getting those back"...... he told everyone to go back to the tried and true torque wrench........

One thing I have seen that I like, and that is at Sams Club. The tech that removes and replaces the wheel from your vehicle is required to use a torque wrench and torque all the lug nuts on the vehicle. Then, once the tech has finished, the on-duty tire manager hast to double check the torque on all the lug nuts before the vehicle is released from the bay..........

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I have seen that I like, and that is at Sams Club. The tech that removes and replaces the wheel from your vehicle is required to use a torque wrench and torque all the lug nuts on the vehicle. Then, once the tech has finished, the on-duty tire manager hast to double check the torque on all the lug nuts before the vehicle is released from the bay..........

Walmart does this too now. The only problem with this is that even though I stood outside the bay and watched the guy torque the nuts, I had to wait an extra half hour on top of the 3 hours before waiting for a manager to meander his way out there to check my lug nuts. I was not happy that day, and I let them know it quite clearly. That's another story for another day.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the torque sticks to snug the nuts with the impact, then torque with torque wrench. Quicker than hand tightening each one (32 nuts :eek:) and still less chance of over tightening.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I'm embarrassed to say I've lost 2 wheels going down the highway due to loose nuts, one being clearly my fault, work on the jeep too late and doing too many projects at once on it. Second one I think kids loosened them..

Thankfully everything was ok, its scary when you all of a sudden drop, start shooting sparks everywhere and see a 35 inch mud tire fly by you

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well my nuts are not loose but...but I didnt torque em either just ran em on n couple braps...test brakes...goi g to re adjust rears so will be pulling tyres again...how I roll.

This time will torque em up.

Oh...always ALWAYS reche k shops work. Their wrenches are left on last setting and adjusted each time. So the wrench is innaccurate. Also and I have personally seen this method...gun on check with torque wrench...click..yup at torque...but no idea if at or beyond torque.

Must spin nuts on and use wrench to TORQUE to spec....

JM2CW

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A tire shop in Vancover, Wa. Rotated the tires on my old blazer... coming down I5 a few days later I hear a clunking noise coming from the back, go to pull over and as I came to a stop the passenger back axel of the blazer drops down comes back up and then hits the ground just as I come to a complete stop, all six lugs broken off....I call the tire shop and am told that it's not their fault..... period.
That was America's tire.
Now I only get new tires from LesSchwab... cuz THEY busted a lug nut off on my Cutless in '85 in Vancouver right at closing time and didn't have a new one so told me to take it the store in Bend Or.would fix it the next day, and they did no questions asked and no problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726