Cheap Coolant Filter

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I was reading some 6.0 forums...and this one guy posted up about a neat little coolant filter. What he did was splice into his heater core hose, and plumbed a 1990 Ford F250 5.8 Fuel filter (those in-line filters). He then ran that into the overflow tank. I would almost think you could then run it into the return line of the heater core hosing.

I almost think that it might work ok. Here is the link if you want to read up about it:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...-my-el-cheapo-coolant-filter.html#post2007867

Last edited:

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice , but if you run it into the over flow tank wont it empty the block and radiator ,, or did i read the post wrong

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I dont think it would, I would think that the coolant would get sucked back into the rad from the overflow via the overflow line.

Logroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from my experience it dont start pullin out till the system is almost empty ,, or the engine starts to cool off ,, i think it would be wise to just tap it back into the return line and make it just one big loop

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
The newer trucks use a pressurized over flow tank that has coolant constantly flowing through it.

On our trucks you would have to splice it in to both heater hoses but it would work.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just an inline fuel filter between spliced into the heater core hose? or am i reading it wrong. if so those filters are cheap and see-trhu and could save me money over the napa bolt up stuff

maybe a Y into the hose with the filter running one part and straight tube on the other to another Y that resumes the course, sorta a bypass incase the filter plugs?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I was reading some 6.0 forums...and this one guy posted up about a neat little coolant filter. What he did was splice into his heater core hose, and plumbed a 1990 Ford F250 5.8 Fuel filter (those in-line filters). He then ran that into the overflow tank. I would almost think you could then run it into the return line of the heater core hosing.

I almost think that it might work ok. Here is the link if you want to read up about it:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...-my-el-cheapo-coolant-filter.html#post2007867

Let me re-iterate what I was thinking above. I think splicing into the heater core hose going into the heater core, and then splicing into the other heater core hose (the one that goes back).

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yours was the inspiration... why fix what aint broke ;)
Glad to have been of service ;Sweet

The irony is, I may have to relocate my coolant filter when I do my intercooler install, depending on where the pipes end up going. Then I get to figure out where to mount the thing...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks ;Sweet I'll let you know when the time comes...waiting for space to clear up at towcat's shop to start the IC install...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The 6.0 it is not an overflow bottle, but is a degas bottle. It is pressurized, and has I believe 2 return lines and at least one large exit on it (I would have to pop the hood and look when I get home) . We do not have a "radiator cap" our pressure cap is the "lid" on the degas bottle. The coolant system is similar in design to the gasser cars are now also. I have a 98 Sable and the "overflow bottle" is pressureized on these also. So an inline filter like this should work, but I think I would rather get a proper filter and do it the right way. If it was that easy, I think I would have heard about it long before now.....

The one thing that worries me in this setup is, if they just tap into one of the existing lines, when this filter plugs, it will cutoff the coolant flow in that loop, and I believe the line they are using is either the EGR Cooler line or the Oil Cooler line. When this plugs and starves the cooler of water, and it is the EGR cooler, it can heat the cooler to the point the solder in the EGR Cooler will melt and cause the EGR cooler to put water into the intake of the engine. I would put a bypass Tee in a heater hose and then tee into a return to the bottle... then you are not closing a factory loop. Id just do what I plan and get a "proper" kit and install it that way.....

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The 6.0 it is not an overflow bottle, but is a degas bottle. It is pressurized, and has I believe 2 return lines and at least one large exit on it (I would have to pop the hood and look when I get home) . We do not have a "radiator cap" our pressure cap is the "lid" on the degas bottle. The coolant system is similar in design to the gasser cars are now also. I have a 98 Sable and the "overflow bottle" is pressureized on these also. So an inline filter like this should work, but I think I would rather get a proper filter and do it the right way. If it was that easy, I think I would have heard about it long before now.....

The one thing that worries me in this setup is, if they just tap into one of the existing lines, when this filter plugs, it will cutoff the coolant flow in that loop, and I believe the line they are using is either the EGR Cooler line or the Oil Cooler line. When this plugs and starves the cooler of water, and it is the EGR cooler, it can heat the cooler to the point the solder in the EGR Cooler will melt and cause the EGR cooler to put water into the intake of the engine. I would put a bypass Tee in a heater hose and then tee into a return to the bottle... then you are not closing a factory loop. Id just do what I plan and get a "proper" kit and install it that way.....

Thats what he mentioned, T-ing into the lines. I can see it clogging, but if its T'ed into a line it should just create a restriction and the coolant will keep flowing.

My bad on the overflow, but I still think that if we did it with the heater core hose's...it might work well.