Change in the fleet...

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
As you all have seen over the last few months, we've had some changes in the fleet...... well there has been another change..... we sold the 92 IDI........

But, fear not, we are not without an IDI......

We sold the 92, to buy this:

You must be registered for see images attach

It's an 88 F-250 7.3 IDI, Hypermax Turbo, C-6, Dually (yes a dually) Flatbed, XLT Lariat, Manual Windows and Locks, Tilt, Cruise, Air, Rear Slider, cloth bench, carpeted floor. 162,000 miles, very little rust..... it does have some PO issues that part we have fixed, and some we are still to do. Oldest Son's daily driver and he drove it to work today...... So a very unique truck, but we both like it...... looks to be a good base to start from, making it a nice daily driver.......

The dually conversion was done right, it has a dually 10.25 under it, springs and all........

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is likely not applicable as this being a standard cab, but weren't dually 250's offered from Ford to get the super cab since 350's were not available in SC configuration? Really nice vehicle though. How long until the mods begin? When I first started driving I couldn't help myself and had to do something to my vehicle

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
xlt lariat with manual doors? Did someone change those out?

Wes,

More than likely it was ordered this way. Through the Bricknose trucks in 91, pretty much everything was a selectable option. Starting with the OBS and later, a package got x,y,z options, no choice. But ther earlier vehicles, you could pick and choose. So my guess is someone optioned it out this way. They wanted some of the nicer items the XLT Lariat package brought, but didn’t want the power windows. This truck has everything else, the wood grain trim on the dash, 2 tone paint, A/C, cloth bench, carpeted floor, chrome bumper, dual tanks.... etc, just manual windows and locks. Remember, power windows and locks, at the time this truck was built, was a luxury item, and many didn’t want them. I know in this time frame, when Dad was looking at vehicles, power everything could be a deal breaker.......

We had an 83 F-150 decades ago, and it was one of these special order, just the options I wanted truck. We bought it used in 86, ant it was a “no package truck” as I called it, because the spot above the radio was blank, it didn’t say custom, XL, or XLT, that indicated the package the truck was. However, it was a fairly well optioned truck. It was a 351 4x4, auto, 4.10 or steeper, because on the floor it would just top 75, front and rear factory limited slip (we had the sticker), chrome bumpers, A/C, dual tanks, and the $1500 Victoria Paint Scheme, but had a vinyl seat, rubber floor, am/fm radio (single speaker in the top center of the dash), manual windows, locks, transfer case and lockouts...... so back then, you could option them out, exactly the way you wanted.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
This is likely not applicable as this being a standard cab, but weren't dually 250's offered from Ford to get the super cab since 350's were not available in SC configuration? Really nice vehicle though. How long until the mods begin? When I first started driving I couldn't help myself and had to do something to my vehicle
No, they would still put F350 badging.
Only difference is the springs/axles.
That's a nice truck. I'm drawn to single cab duallys, like flies to poop. Lol
Even though I now need more room.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wes,

More than likely it was ordered this way. Through the Bricknose trucks in 91, pretty much everything was a selectable option. Starting with the OBS and later, a package got x,y,z options, no choice. But ther earlier vehicles, you could pick and choose. So my guess is someone optioned it out this way. They wanted some of the nicer items the XLT Lariat package brought, but didn’t want the power windows. This truck has everything else, the wood grain trim on the dash, 2 tone paint, A/C, cloth bench, carpeted floor, chrome bumper, dual tanks.... etc, just manual windows and locks. Remember, power windows and locks, at the time this truck was built, was a luxury item, and many didn’t want them. I know in this time frame, when Dad was looking at vehicles, power everything could be a deal breaker.......

We had an 83 F-150 decades ago, and it was one of these special order, just the options I wanted truck. We bought it used in 86, ant it was a “no package truck” as I called it, because the spot above the radio was blank, it didn’t say custom, XL, or XLT, that indicated the package the truck was. However, it was a fairly well optioned truck. It was a 351 4x4, auto, 4.10 or steeper, because on the floor it would just top 75, front and rear factory limited slip (we had the sticker), chrome bumpers, A/C, dual tanks, and the $1500 Victoria Paint Scheme, but had a vinyl seat, rubber floor, am/fm radio (single speaker in the top center of the dash), manual windows, locks, transfer case and lockouts...... so back then, you could option them out, exactly the way you wanted.
Very cool, thanks for the explanation on that! Our f250 xlt lariat explorer has got all the doodads, kinda prefer the older packaging system since each truck is custom to the owner. Pretty cool stuff

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

I’m fairly sure, if it was an F-250 Dually SuperCab, it was a conversion...... not until the 99+ Super Duty trucks, could you get all cab/bed options with drivetrain options.....

The most well known is the crew cabs. Until 99, Ford did not make a Crew Cab 4x4 Dually, with a pickup box, from the factory. They made 4x4 single rear wheel, crew cab 4x4, and made some 4x4 crew cab dually, cab and chassis trucks, but not with a pickup bed..... if you see a CC, DRW, 4x4 with a dually pickup bed, it’s a conversion..... same with the super cab...... The 4x4 supercab dually that Calvin @towcat has, he built...... it’s not a factory option....

Modifications will still be a little while off..... with all the good this truck brought to the table, there’s some bad as well.....

The good things, relatively low miles, a healthy engine with very little blow by, a strong C-6, very little rust, turbo, all the important things working properly, there’s some bad....

It is suffering some “P.O. Syndrome”...... all the gauges work, but the dash lights do not. The turn signals work, but do not click and stay on...(hey Gary @icanfixall, want to come fix that, since your an expert now), you have to hold the lever. The glow plugs do not work, the controller is missing, and someone wired up a relay on the bracket on the valve cover to a push button in the cab, but the plugs still don’t run. However, after seeing what I did last night, I’m glad they don’t. The 2 yellow wires at the plug on the passenger fender have about an inch and a half of wire showing....... that’s first on the list... the wiring for the pump doesn’t run the pump. The wire to the fuel heater has broken, and someone put a ring terminal on it and ran a screw into the factory connector.... my guess is the fuse is blown taking out the power for everything else up there. The pump is being powered by a toggle switch in the cab with a piece of orange drop cord supplying power.... so either fixing the factory harness, or at least for now, doing something a bit better than a drop cord to the pump..... but, with the plugs not working, it does show the health of the engine. With the block heater plugged in, it will start with a bump of the key, like it’s been running all day. If it’s dead cold, it does take puff of “Start ya *******”, but so little, you almost just have to show the engine the can....... (I know, please no lectures)...... The battery cables will need replaced in the future..... I had to fix some hacking.... but they will work for now...... it didn’t want to start without a jump when we picked it up, but that was because the hot terminal on the drivers battery was cracked and wouldn’t tighten, and the big lead from the passenger battery to the starter was only using maybe 1/8 of the total cable to connect to the battery..... that’s been rectified and it will spin over nice and fast. It needs a return kit, which I’m already talking to Russ to get..... the current return kit is there, and does not cause starting issues, but that’s about all..... it’s keeping the truck from making a mess..... but my hands still smell like diesel from having to fiddle with an idiotic routing........

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
No, they would still put F350 badging.
Only difference is the springs/axles.
That's a nice truck. I'm drawn to single cab duallys, like flies to poop. Lol
Even though I now need more room.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I agree. I made the comment after we got it home, it just looks like it’s ready to do some work..... it’s not just any old pickup, with the duals and deck, it just screams, I want to do real work!!!

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope you continue updates as this goes along. I always like keeping an older rig alive and making it better over something new.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope you continue updates as this goes along. I always like keeping an older rig alive and making it better over something new.

I will. It won’t be fast, but we will work on it. Right now it’s my sons daily driver, so main goal is keeping it on the road. He is going to pick up a Jeep in the next couple of weeks, which was in the works before changing trucks. Once he has the Jeep also, we can do a bit more in depth stuff, since he has something to drive.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most well known is the crew cabs. Until 99, Ford did not make a Crew Cab 4x4 Dually, with a pickup box, from the factory. They made 4x4 single rear wheel, crew cab 4x4, and made some 4x4 crew cab dually, cab and chassis trucks, but not with a pickup bed..... if you see a CC, DRW, 4x4 with a dually pickup bed, it’s a conversion..... same with the super cab...... The 4x4 supercab dually that Calvin @towcat has, he built...... it’s not a factory option....
100% correct. I "assembled" the Sulaco. Someone else started by converting a SRW f250 supercab 4x4 and turned it into a dually. I stole it from the PO and went nuts over time with putting in a D60 front, ZF5 with GV od and all the towing options in the bed and butt. best add-on was the tommygate :D
the first pic below is when I bought the truck.
the second pic is pretty recent.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
An interesting discovery with the truck last night.

I’m headed home after work, and the phone rings. It’s my oldest son, which isn’t unusual, some days he calls to pass the time while he is driving home. But last night was because of the truck. He said the truck is cranking, but it just won’t catch...... so we run through the checklist of the obvious, and everything was as it should be. I tell him to sit tight, and I’ll be there in a few. Fortunately he isn’t that far off my normal route home.

I get there, check over everything again. Made sure the return kit is still in one piece, have him crank and I push the schrader valve and immediately get a good, solid fuel stream. So no air/drain back...... I grab the Start ya *******, and have him crank...... I give it a couple squirts and still nothing.

Now, this is the coldest we’ve tried to start it. The day we got it and Monday were both in the upper 50’s. At the house, he plugs it in and it will start without any ether. At work, just a puff on Monday it started right up, but was still in the 50’s. Overnight Monday/Tuesday winter showed up. Tuesday morning it fired right up on the block heater. After work, no block heater, and just ether, it wouldn’t start, and was right at 30 with a nice breeze.....

We know how to use, and what to expect with ether. The 92 didn’t have working plugs for a few months. They way we have always used ether, we spray it into the breather housing, since both trucks don’t have the flex tube and snout over the battery, give a quick shot to the filter and it would fire right up. This is the same thing we were doing last night, so I’m at the point of ***! Then I remember there’s one difference, the 92 had a standard air filter, and this truck has a foam pre-filter on the standard filter....... HEY! So I pop the cover off the air cleaner, he hits the key, I give the slightest puff of ether and it fires before the second full revolution......

So now the light comes on: That foam pre-filter isn’t letting the ether through...... we decide the foam is coming off, but I suggest waiting till we home since the engine will be warm and more pleasant to be under the hood. Once home, which is after about 20 minutes of run time and 6 to 7 miles at speed, we shut the truck down and take the foam off. Even after this time, you could still get a hint of the ether smell on the foam.... I know several people who have said the foam will pop the filter minder with a brand new filter, but I never thought it would keep ether from getting through.....