Ceramic Coating

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I am considering having my factory turbo ceramic coated on the hot side as well as the up pipes, down pipe, and manifolds. Should I have it coated inside and out, or just outside. I have heard that coating just the outside will cause the material to fatigue and eventually crack due to not being able to dissipate heat that is now trapped in it. I am looking to keep underhood temperatures down for the most part, plus the performance boosts would be nice.

What about coating the outside of the compressor housing and intake to insulate it from underhood temps?

If you had this done what did it run?

Right now it is is a stock turbo engine with nothing else done except burning waste oil, and plans for water-**** injection.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Far as the turbo itself, you'd probably be better off with a turbo blanket.
Can't say on the rest, but I've seen some use Header wrap on the up pipes.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kicked around wrapping things but Michigan loves to pour the salt to the roads in the winter and I see the wrap holding salt water to steel and rusting everything out.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
altho ceramic coating would trap X amount of heat, i seriously doubt it would trap enough heat to mess with the tinsel strength.
your gladiolus dyno will not know any better.
i seriously doubt that any HP gains are to be had.

i have a product for turbo exhaust housings called Turbo X by Tech line coatings.
you brush it on and fire it up.
i will be taking the castings and baking them at 475 for X ammount of time.
when i get some free time.

CCPcoatings

Reaction score
So I am considering having my factory turbo ceramic coated on the hot side as well as the up pipes, down pipe, and manifolds. Should I have it coated inside and out, or just outside. I have heard that coating just the outside will cause the material to fatigue and eventually crack due to not being able to dissipate heat that is now trapped in it. I am looking to keep underhood temperatures down for the most part, plus the performance boosts would be nice.

What about coating the outside of the compressor housing and intake to insulate it from underhood temps?

If you had this done what did it run?

Right now it is is a stock turbo engine with nothing else done except burning waste oil, and plans for water-**** injection.

Ceramic coating both will be fine. Ideally doing as much as possible is best, but its dictated by the parts themselves. Even if you plan to wrap the pipes or turbine it's wise to coat them prior to wrapping to prevent corrosion. The ID / OD coating debate is primarily BS. I've never seen any situation like this in nearly 20 years of being involved in these products. Failures are primarily due to inferior material or fabrication, i.e., thin tubing or crappy welds in both mild steel and assorted stainless steels.

CCPcoatings

Reaction score
Ceramic Coating and wrapping turbo exhaust parts.

I kicked around wrapping things but Michigan loves to pour the salt to the roads in the winter and I see the wrap holding salt water to steel and rusting everything out.

Here is how wrapping un-coated mild steel typically goes and this was on a seasonally driven Corvette...........

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ceramic coating both will be fine. Ideally doing as much as possible is best, but its dictated by the parts themselves. Even if you plan to wrap the pipes or turbine it's wise to coat them prior to wrapping to prevent corrosion. The ID / OD coating debate is primarily BS. I've never seen any situation like this in nearly 20 years of being involved in these products. Failures are primarily due to inferior material or fabrication, i.e., thin tubing or crappy welds in both mild steel and assorted stainless steels.
Funny you replied as I was going to call you guys on Friday. If real world experience with these trucks proves to be worth the investment.