CDR does not want to come out

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey all, I'm trying to pull the CDR to test and clean/replace it. I've got it moving from side to side but even with all my force pulling up, it won't come out. I do not want to break anything since we're leaving friday for Louisiana in the truck and now store near me has a new CDR and down-tube in stock. If I break it getting it out i'd have to rig up a RDT to make the trip which I'm not quite sure how to do, despite reading about them all morning. Everyone seems to have a different opinion:dunno
The CDR is COVERED with old oil grime, and the grommet to the intake is gone. I found the grommet in stock locally, if I could get the CDR off to test it. I do not want to run for 7 to 8 hours with the CDR not working.

Any tips to get this thing out? Should I just keep pulling?

Thanks.

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well I just ordered a CDR and grommet, found one close enough to my house to be worth buying to get in time. I'm really pulling on this dang thing though..I even had to wrap a piece of wire around the tuna can to try and get more upward force..still nothing. I've read that the CDR can be an issue with high mileage engines (mine has 310,240) and RDT's lessen the crankcase pressure lessening the possibility of blowing gaskets. Obviously, since I bought the CDR, i'm going to run with that for now but if a RDT can make my engine last longer i'm interested.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
RDT creates more chances of blowing seals.
Far as pulling it, did you remove both bolts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah both bolts are off. I've got it moving side to side, but the damn thing just won't come out. RDT RAISES the chance of blowing seals...ok. Is it because improper length can create crankcase pressure? Like I said, I bought one so i'll be keeping it stock for now. I was thinking about the RDT as a possible alternative to keep me on the road if I couldn't locate a CDR and grommet by Friday.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CDR stands for Crankcase Depression Regulator. Since its hooked up to the intake, crank gasses are pulled in, thus keeping the crankcase from building pressure, and the CDR keeps from pulling a vacuum. So without the CDR, blow by can create enough pressure to blow out seals such as the front and rear mains. I had an RDT for a little while and all of a sudden my engine was leaving oil spots wherever I parked (not from the RDT tube itself). Once I got my new CDR in this stopped.

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks, it seems there are quite a few differing opinions on this floating out there. i'm glad I was able to find one in time for the trip. Did yours just pull out too? i'm gonna go try again in a bit, but i was really pulling on that thing. That bottom grommet is in there good.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The grommet is probably quite hard due to age and all the heat it's seen. You'll likely have to break the grommet to get it out. This may lead to pieces of it falling into the valley pan baffle. But if you're careful and purposely break the grommet into just a couple large pieces, you can retrieve them with long and skinny needle nose pliers. Or a tube that fits into the CDR grommet hole fixed up to a vacuum will work as well.

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I break that bottom grommet in the valley pan, i'll have to get a new up/down tube right? It looks to me as if the tube and bottom grommet are one piece. It looks that way from the parts #'s too, unless the grommet part # is for top(intake) and bottom(valley pan) grommets?:dunno
I didn't order a tube, I was hoping to reuse mine. I was just out there pulling hard and it just won't come out. Guess i'll be putting a tube on order here soon, cause this S.O.B is coming out today:backoff

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run a RDT and I believe its just so on a turbo motor you don't fill the intake side up with oil, but if you have leaks it wont help them.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tube has its own seal inside of it where the CDR slides in. CDR to intake grommet and valley pan grommet are seperate parts

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a RDT and I believe its just so on a turbo motor you don't fill the intake side up with oil, but if you have leaks it wont help them.

And that's why I'm concerned about when I get around to running an intercooler. It's gonna accumulate oil. The intercooler seems like it'd even act as a condenser for the crank vapors, worsening oil accumulation furthermore.

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just ordered the tube as well...i getting this sucker out tonight one way or the other....

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't believe this is so hard. My brain keeps telling me i'm missing something simple..making it harder on myself but everytime I look at it it looks just like all the other pics i've seen except no one seems to have much of an issue getting it out....I'm getting pissed!

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently re gasketed my motor and I have some small spots that are starting to weep, some spots I have been able to fix, but since it was my first IDI reseal. if you use a high quality sealer you shouldn't have any problems with leaks.

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leaks have not been a problem so far, not counting injector caps which I feel is installer error:D The engine has not been a leaker. Now, that CDR is FILTHY! either the intake grommet disintegrated long ago or it went missing because there is so much oil grunge on the cdr, it's hard to get a grip. That's why I started to use a piece of wire wrapped around the cdr to get some grip.