HELP! Can't Remove CDR Valve

Bo-Jangles

Reaction score
1989 F250 7.3
For the life of me I cannot remove my CDR valve. Removed both mount bolts and clearing intake but no matter how much I wiggle, rock and no matter how hard I pull the unit will not come out. Can see a clamp (that looks permanent) that holds valve to the tube but nothing down where the tube enters the valley pan. Everything I've read about replacing this damn thing says the unit should come out with little effort. What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated because I cant pull any harder so I'm stuck at this point.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old, hard rubber is hard to remove. Mine was in the same shape over 10 years ago. I think I ended up destroying it and pulling out the bits but I can't remember.
It might be easier to take out if you heat up the engine.

Bo-Jangles

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. Pretty sure it's the original unit and I'm just going to have to struggle with it. Heating up the engine is a good idea. I'll try it. Thanks.

Bo-Jangles

Reaction score
So, I managed to release tension from the stock crimp clamp by using a flat head screw driver and wedging it in between the clamp where it was crimped and spreading the clamp apart. It was actually pretty easy. After doing this the CDR valve came out easy. Wish I would have tried this before yanking on the thing with all my might yesterday. The tube to the valley pan appears to be okay but I'm not so sure about any kind of seal that might be used where the tube goes into the pan. Oh well, we'll find out soon enough. Valve appears to be stock and still in good working order after 150k. Cleaned it out with some diesel and she's going back on. Hope this helps anyone who struggles with this in the future. It really does come out easy.....once you loosen the clamp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online

No members online now.