Cavitation?/Head Gasket?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double leak down tests....pistons correctly orie ted at tdc...then at bdc...if leaky hg will leak both spots...if noy hg wont leak likely at tdc..but migjt at bdc...indicating cavitation.

Just thinking out loud here

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Double leak down tests....pistons correctly orie ted at tdc...then at bdc...if leaky hg will leak both spots...if noy hg wont leak likely at tdc..but migjt at bdc...indicating cavitation.

Just thinking out loud here

This is good advice and should pinpoint the cylinder(s) in question, then you can post what you find and probably get a little more input. It will cost you very little (compression tester and gages) and before I was gonna spend real money, I'd want to do as much as I could before true disassembly.

Look at it this way: if you see trouble in only one cylinder, or perhaps one bank of cylinders, you can dig deeper by pulling that head and inspecting the cylinders/head more closely. If it's cavitation, you won't be out anything but a bunch of time. If it's a head gasket, you'll feel like Sherlock Holmes/Scotland Yard LOL

Good luck

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I for one or two would recommend Promar. I had good experience with one. As far as Jasper, I've never heard anything good about them, never even a recommendation when I was looking for an engine to replace a cavitated 7.3L. To my knowledge, Jasper remans are not done in any one place, but by shops all over the country.

Promar shipping and return core is all included in their price.

Jasper rebuilds are all done at their facility in Jasper, Indiana (Southern Indiana). However, as above, their IDI's are hit or miss.... I've used Jasper for other parts, in the early 80's and the part worked well (C-4 in a Ford Fairmont). I would go with a Promar as suggested.