Cavitation?/Head Gasket?

sasquatch81

Reaction score
So I have already posted about this once in the 911 section but I've done a bit more digging and need some advice.

History: 94 F 250 7.3L Turbo 228,000 miles. Pickup had been running fine, has always burned through oil. No other major concerns. I'm a shade tree mechanic at best but highly mechanically able. I have been using sca since I got the truck at 210,000

I pulled out of the gas station the other day and got on the accelerator to merge with traffic. I noticed a bit louder knock after I was off the throttle. I pulled on to a side street and the knock just got worse. I look in the rearview and the truck starts spewing white smoke. I limped home about 1/2 mile. I checked the oil level and it had risen at least a couple quarts. I know this because I had just filled with a little oil the night before. I checked the radiator fluid level and it was down at least a gallon. I had not checked the radiator in a couple weeks but have never been low before.

Today I pulled the truck in my garage and noticed that I have developed a serious oil leak that I can not definitively locate but it is coming from the back topside of the engine. It is quite wet with oil at the turbo oil line connection at the block. It has always leaked a small amount from here so not sure if that is the source. There is oil spatter against the fire wall in that area also. I drained some oil from the pan after it set for a bit. I clearly have coolant in my oil. I removed the air cleaner and steam was pouring from the CDR valve hose that normally connects to the intake. There was a lot of oil with maybe a little moisture in the intake of the turbo.

I'm guessing that this is a head gasket or cavitation. My question is there any way to tell the difference. Also would you agree that this is the likely scenario. What would you do next if you were in this situation?

I really am tight on funds right now and this truck is my only transportation. I am willing to try doing head gaskets myself but would need some guidance. I have read that doing head gaskets requires the block being resurfaced as well as the heads. Is this true?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I need to get back on the road asap.

Thanks in advance to those that can help.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The block does not have to be surfaced if you are doing head gaskets. Your guess is correct. It might be cavitation or a head gasket. Might also be a crack in the head too. Doing BOTH head gaskets in the truck can be done but you really need help removing and for sur installing them. Nothing worse than damaging a gasket because you ruined a gasket when you tried to place the heads on the block. Sadly some here have done this. If the head is cracked you may or may not see it when the heads come off. Some times the piston will be really clean from the water turning to steam and cleaning off all the oils and carbon from pistons. If a gasket failed it usually is the small area between cylinders.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your doing HG's in cab, you will definitely need a cherry picker to get those heads off. Some people can just pick them off and set them on, but it takes some serious strength to do that. Not worth it IMO. I've done it in cab twice now and it's no big deal. Just take your time organizing and labeling all parts that are taken off. Someone is always here on OB to help you during disassembly/assembly. Really not a hard job but you need to ask questions when your not sure of something.
Now here comes the fun part. I would strongly encourage that you take the cylinder heads to a reputable machine shop for inspection/rebuild. This can be expensive but may save you from doing a job twice.

sasquatch81

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, helps a bunch. I am debating on taking it to a shop to have it looked at. If it is head gaskets would anyone have any idea on what a shop would charge. Just a ballpark so I can have an idea. Obviously things always change once they get in there.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, helps a bunch. I am debating on taking it to a shop to have it looked at. If it is head gaskets would anyone have any idea on what a shop would charge. Just a ballpark so I can have an idea. Obviously things always change once they get in there.

Around $3000 give or take to have a shop do head gaskets. And that's assuming you won't need any cylinder head work.

sasquatch81

Reaction score
Again thanks for the information, Wondering if anyone out there has any Information good or bad on Motorworks out of Spokane Washington. Not 100% on if a new motor is in store for me yet but trying to do my research. I received a quote for a Jasper remanufactured 7.3 and a quote from Motorworks, both longblocks. Have heard mixed reviews on Jasper engines but any input there would be great.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven't heard much positive feedback about jasper engines. I certainly wouldn't buy one because they seem to be hit n miss and some members have had problems with those reman engines.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I for one or two would recommend Promar. I had good experience with one. As far as Jasper, I've never heard anything good about them, never even a recommendation when I was looking for an engine to replace a cavitated 7.3L. To my knowledge, Jasper remans are not done in any one place, but by shops all over the country.

Promar shipping and return core is all included in their price.

sasquatch81

Reaction score
I am really leaning towards the promar. Been trying to get as much info on them as possible. Wish I could get some feedback on motorworks though. I spoke with them and they actually will use a 6.9 block bored to a 7.1. Then they put 7.3 heads on. I like the concept, not having to worry about future cavitation as much but also getting the better heads from the 7.3. Leonard shipping policy is pretty nice though.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would seriously try and find the issue with the engine before you spend that kind of money for a promar. It's probable that the head gaskets are the problem and that's an easy and fairly inexpensive fix compared to a 3.5k reman engine. Dig into it a little further!

sasquatch81

Reaction score
I keep going back and forth on it. I keep reading that head gaskets on 7.3 idi's rarely go out and that it is usually cavitation. Maybe I have just been scared by the whole cavitation thing. One shop I talked to quoted me $700 to just find out which it is. If I have them take it down to the block and it ends up being cavitation will promar accept a core that is in pieces or will I have to pay to put it back together and then send the core.

I wish there was an easier way to know what the problem actually is. I can tear into it myself, and if I do see that it is a head gasket. I am not sure I know what to look at as far as the health of the rest of the block. I've only torn one engine down that far and it was 20 years ago and I sent the whole thing in boxes to a shop to rebuild.

I don't really want to spend $2500 on an engine that has 230,000 on it and end up with more trouble in 6 months. I did a compression test a while back and I was at 340 on my lowest cylinder and there is tons of blow-by and it guzzles oil like crazy. Part of me really likes the thought of an engine with 0 miles on it.

So I am really not sure what route I should take. I also am using a loaner vehicle at the moment so have to figure it out pretty quick.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Personally I would say it's about equal. Maybe more hgs than cavitation.
I'm 1:1, had one cavitate, it's replacement popped the hg.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726