Cannot seem to stop this oil leak!

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
That area is a tuff place to seal because there are several corners that require plenty of rtv. Now the big question... Did you install a cork or rubber oil pan gasket.... If so you will never stop the oil leak. These engines never did have an oil pan gasket. What the factory did was use rtv and its worked very well for many years. Just because the oil pan gasket is offered in the aftermarket does not mean we should use one. They just never seal properly. Now its time to pull the engine and clean off the gasket. I found that permatex ultra copper plus works great. I never have had a leak useing thats for sure... Removeing the front cover will get you past for a while but that pan gasket needs to be removed...

Neither. Never had the pan or cover off.

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Well, either one is a real pain to reseal with the engine in the truck. Unless it's really a significant leak, you may not want to tackle that project until you can have the truck down for a while.

To replace the front cover gaskets, you've got to pull all the crap off the front of the engine (pullies, water pump, balancer, and IP and it's gear housing, accessory brackets... blah, blah, blah). Clean all the surfaces, coat the new gaskets with a thin coat of Permatex Ultra Copper silicone and bolt it back down.

The oil pain...... opps..... I mean pan (LOL), you've gotta pull all the bolts after draining the oil and drop the pan on the crossmember. Then clean the mortal **** out of both sealing surfaces until there is zero oil residue. That is hard as oil will continually drip form the block while your working on cleaning these surfaces. Brake Kleen is your buddy there. Then, you need to put some Permatex Ultra Copper silcone on both surfaces and bolt it all back up. Putting extra silicone around the corners where the front and rear engine covers meet the oil pan is key to getting those areas sealed. The gap there is larger than you'd expect.

Heath

Its not too signifigant. Blue gooing the washer, and keyway and around the seal made a difference and slowed it down alot. Used to drip every couple seconds and run down the oil pan but I cleaned the oil pan on tuesday and its still not oily.