Cannot seem to stop this oil leak!

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
Oil is leaking from behind the harmonic balancer and running down where the oil pan and timing cover meet. (on the little lip) Then it runs down the oil pan and drips on the ground. I replaced the front seal, blue gooed around the seal, the kewyay, the crankshaft, and under the washer. Slowed it down but still has a slow leak. Any help?

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
No, but sealed under and on top of the washer. I think its coming from the passenger side of the truck and running down the lip.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a halfassed picture for you guys.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you didn't install a speedi sleeve on the worn dampner then the new seal will leak.. this is a know fact sorry to say too. Do it one more time but install a sleeve or another new seal but push this one in deeper to ride on a new dampner surface....

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Depending on the miles it has You might need a front crank seal with a wear sleeve. Also, have You checked the lift pump on the pass side?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you didn't install a speedi sleeve on the worn dampner then the new seal will leak.. this is a know fact sorry to say too. Do it one more time but install a sleeve or another new seal but push this one in deeper to ride on a new dampner surface....

Depending on the miles it has You might need a front crank seal with a wear sleeve. Also, have You checked the lift pump on the pass side?

X 3. There is a groove worn in the harmonic balancer from the old seal. The new seal is riding on that same groove and can't stop oil from leaking past. Either a repair sleeve/seal combo or put the seal a bit deeper or a bit more shallow in the front cover to put the sealing lip on a different location on the balancer.

Heath

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
I honestly dont think its the leaking around the seal. I watched where it leaked from. Ill try and repost the picture hold on.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, if it is indeed leaking from where you say, then it is your oil pan that is not sealed. That's a pain in the butt right there. However, depending where on that corner it is leaking, it may be easier to remove and reseal the front cover.

IH POWER

ALL MOTOR!
Reaction score
I took the bottom left front cover bold out and blue gooed under the washer of it and blue gooed that general corner area and it seemed to slow it down quite a bit. So I also cam to the conclusion its either the oil pan gasket or front cover gasket

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull engine....pull balancer and pan and front cover, reseal all and install speedy sleeve...done! reinstall engine...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, either one is a real pain to reseal with the engine in the truck. Unless it's really a significant leak, you may not want to tackle that project until you can have the truck down for a while.

To replace the front cover gaskets, you've got to pull all the crap off the front of the engine (pullies, water pump, balancer, and IP and it's gear housing, accessory brackets... blah, blah, blah). Clean all the surfaces, coat the new gaskets with a thin coat of Permatex Ultra Copper silicone and bolt it back down.

The oil pain...... opps..... I mean pan (LOL), you've gotta pull all the bolts after draining the oil and drop the pan on the crossmember. Then clean the mortal **** out of both sealing surfaces until there is zero oil residue. That is hard as oil will continually drip form the block while your working on cleaning these surfaces. Brake Kleen is your buddy there. Then, you need to put some Permatex Ultra Copper silcone on both surfaces and bolt it all back up. Putting extra silicone around the corners where the front and rear engine covers meet the oil pan is key to getting those areas sealed. The gap there is larger than you'd expect.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That area is a tuff place to seal because there are several corners that require plenty of rtv. Now the big question... Did you install a cork or rubber oil pan gasket.... If so you will never stop the oil leak. These engines never did have an oil pan gasket. What the factory did was use rtv and its worked very well for many years. Just because the oil pan gasket is offered in the aftermarket does not mean we should use one. They just never seal properly. Now its time to pull the engine and clean off the gasket. I found that permatex ultra copper plus works great. I never have had a leak useing thats for sure... Removeing the front cover will get you past for a while but that pan gasket needs to be removed...