Can someone school me on transfer cases

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Are all ford obs transfercase the same? All bw 1356?

Are there differences in the half ton and 3/4 to. Versions?

What's needed to swap a2wd e4od over to accept a transfer case?
Are all e4od t case adaptor the same. ?

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most used a 1356 but a few was made with a 1345. They also made a 4407 but it was with a PTO and rare...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
PTO one was only in 350 or chassis cab, iirc.
I had one, didn't know it was gold, and sold it for parts. Lol

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the difference between a 2wd transmission and a 4wd transmission is the rear shafts. You can also set up a divorced transfer case and keep the 2wd transmission, or that's the word on the street

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much any fullsize tcase up until the super duty will bolt in. Ford did a fantastic job keeping it simple. But the specific tcases in the 80-96 fords were the np208, bw1345, bw1356 and bw4407. The BW1356 is a far superior case, even though it had the poorly designed oil pump problem, nobody seems to be able to blow them up! More than enough of them laying around.
Broncos had a flange/yoke output vs a truck's slip yoke style. Another thing you gotta look out for is manual vs electric shift. Electric shift is very finicky and doesn't like to work half the time.

F350 chassis had the pto option which is nice, but seldom used. I have one and not sure what exactly is going to hang off it. Couple it with a zf5 and have 3 PTO ports.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To hook the trans case directly too the tranny, going from a 2WD to a 4WD, the tranny has to be completely tore down to change the output shaft and support. Better/easier to do a divorced hookup.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much any fullsize tcase up until the super duty will bolt in. Ford did a fantastic job keeping it simple. But the specific tcases in the 80-96 fords were the np208, bw1345, bw1356 and bw4407. The BW1356 is a far superior case, even though it had the poorly designed oil pump problem, nobody seems to be able to blow them up! More than enough of them laying around.
Broncos had a flange/yoke output vs a truck's slip yoke style. Another thing you gotta look out for is manual vs electric shift. Electric shift is very finicky and doesn't like to work half the time.

F350 chassis had the pto option which is nice, but seldom used. I have one and not sure what exactly is going to hang off it. Couple it with a zf5 and have 3 PTO ports.

Some trucks also had a fixed yoke output, but I can't tell you if it was a certain year or not. I had a old 1980 f150 that had a fixed yoke.

And yes, all Ford transfer cases will bolt in behind all Ford 4wd trannies(except the 6 speed zf) but the rub comes in hooking up the linkages. The shifters were different, sometimes even with the same type transfer case. If you get the whole thing complete with the shifter, you are usually ok.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some trucks also had a fixed yoke output, but I can't tell you if it was a certain year or not. I had a old 1980 f150 that had a fixed yoke.
My 1984 with a 1345 has a fixed-yoke, FWIW...I don't think I've seen a 1345 with a slip-yoke; OTOH I also don't recall ever seeing a 1356 with a fixed-yoke output.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both my 1345 and my 1356 tcases have fixed yokes. I honestly dont think ive ever seen a ford diesel 4x4 with a slip yoke....ill have to start looking now haha.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly dont think ive ever seen a ford diesel 4x4 with a slip yoke....ill have to start looking now haha.
FWIW I've spent some quality time underneath a '91 F-350 crew-cab that had a slip yoke on a 1356.

I don't know if different model years are what makes the difference, or if there's another factor involved, or what :dunno