Can someone confirm olive size on 6.9 n/a hard return line???

ldeikis

Reaction score
Hi guys. This forum has been incredibly helpful to me, but I've always been able to find what I'm searching for without posting a question that's been answered a thousand times... but I can't find a clear answer on this one, so:

86 F250 6.9. It's the style where the injection pump fuel return line has a 90 degree fitting, then a hard steel line that runs back along the drivers side bank, where it eventually meets the returns from the injectors at a brass fitting that looks like a + and then drops down to the tank. There's an olive in that "+" and also where that line attaches to the 90 degree fitting at the pump. I thought from reading on here that they were 5/16 (like the ones in the line from the filter to the IP) but they were much harder to squeeze over the flares on this return line, and now the return line won't get snug into its 90 degree fitting. Do I need to find 3/8" olives for this?

Thanks for any guidance. I'm most of the way through a huge PITA of pulling the head to retrieve a broken autolite GP tip and figured I should replace this stuff while it's accessible. I put viton o-rings from mcmaster in the injector caps, all new rubber returns, and picked up a pack of 5/16 olives at the IH dealer, but they were out of the 3/8. Since I didn't disturb the line into the filter I figured I'd just do the 5/16 stuff, but now I'm in a pickle. Really need this truck back together about a week ago!

Luke

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes. Thats a 3/8 olice on that hard return line. Actually the line itself is also a 3/8 inch tubeing.

ldeikis

Reaction score
Thank you. I managed to get by a deere dealer before they closed and pick up two 3/8 last night. They're about to go on and then we'll see how I am.

Luke