C6 trans temp?

bevtis

Reaction score
Anybody have an idea of what the ideal temperature should be for a c6? Mine gets to about 220* going about 65-70 mph for a long period of time. Is this normal? My sensor is in the pan, which is a aftermarket deeper b&m pan. Truck is a 6.9 idi with 4.10 gears.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
For pan temps those seem a little high, do you have an aftermarket cooler on it? It's common to put a big cooler on it.

hacked89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody have an idea of what the ideal temperature should be for a c6? Mine gets to about 220* going about 65-70 mph for a long period of time. Is this normal? My sensor is in the pan, which is a aftermarket deeper b&m pan. Truck is a 6.9 idi with 4.10 gears.
That’s high, fluid begins to break down around that temperature. It’s not hunting gears a bunch is it? Trans cooler hooked up and working?

bevtis

Reaction score
For pan temps those seem a little high, do you have an aftermarket cooler on it? It's common to put a big cooler on it.
The one on it right now is stock, but I’m going to be putting a bigger aftermarket one on soon.

bevtis

Reaction score
That’s high, fluid begins to break down around that temperature. It’s not hunting gears a bunch is it? Trans cooler hooked up and working?
Nope, shifts fine. The cooler is hooked up, and is working I’m pretty sure.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
The stock cooler on my RV was aparently WAY undersized.

After a C6 rebuild this year, I put one of these, about $100 shipped from RockAuto: https://www.haydenauto.com/en/ecatalog?partdetail=779

I also put a deep aluminum pan with a temp gauge port:

The original cooler vs the 779:

You must be registered for see images attach

I put two temp gauges; one on the TC output line, and one in the pan.

The pan climbs as high as 210 when crossing mountains, but I stop and let it cool down before it gets there, if possible. I can only imagine how hot that thing got with the stock cooler and the stock pan, because it had no temp gauges then. It lasted until about 80k before it was totally trashed (pump, drum, everything). The pan staying at 195 isn't uncommon for me, but it's a 27ft Class C motorhome pulling a 5x8 fiberglass box trailer.

If you aren't towing, 220 seems excessive. Consider slowing down to lower the temps, at least until you put a bigger cooler. What temp is your coolant running at? The C6 uses the radiator for some cooling, so if your engine is running hot, that can bleed into the ATF temp and reduce it's cooling.

Last edited:

bevtis

Reaction score
The stock cooler on my RV was aparently WAY undersized.

After a C6 rebuild this year, I put one of these, about $100 shipped from RockAuto: https://www.haydenauto.com/en/ecatalog?partdetail=779

I also put a deep aluminum pan with a temp gauge port:

The original cooler vs the 779:

I put two temp gauges; one on the TC output line, and one in the pan.

The pan climbs as high as 210 when crossing mountains, but I stop and let it cool down before it gets there, if possible. I can only imagine how hot that thing got with the stock cooler and the stock pan, because it had no temp gauges then. It lasted until about 80k before it was totally trashed (pump, drum, everything). The pan staying at 195 isn't uncommon for me, but it's a 27ft Class C motorhome pulling a 5x8 fiberglass box trailer.

If you aren't towing, 220 seems excessive. Consider slowing down to lower the temps, at least until you put a bigger cooler. What temp is your coolant running at? The C6 uses the radiator for some cooling, so if your engine is running hot, that can bleed into the ATF temp and reduce it's cooling.
The gauge stays in the center, so it should be running cool. With the stock radiator it would get warm, so I put in a mishimoto radiator.

Jim993

Reaction score
The green band on my F250 4 x 4 Banks transmission temperature gauge starts at 170 and goes to 240, yellow starts at 240. Yellow is from 240- 260, then red. Top of red is 320.The Banks gauge sensor is on the hot fluid line from the transmission to the radiator. Fluid then goes to the auxiliary cooler in front of the condenser and back to the transmission.

Summer of 2020 coming across the desert from CA to AZ with 1,000 pounds in the bed, air conditioning full blast cold, 109 degrees at Needles, transmission temperature climbed on every long grade to the top of the green but not into yellow. Hit 6,000 feet a couple of times still 100 out.

I run full synthetic Red Line D4 transmission fluid which is much more resistant to oxidation than petroleum based fluid, both in the F 250 and Corvette. I routinely come off road course tracks when transmission temp on the Corvette hits 250, although the HIGH TRANS TEMP warning is 270 on it.

So far as I can tell, the C 6 in the F 250 has 269,000 miles on it, the "new" engine 43,000 miles.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
My recent trip back from Tucson pulling the baja bug (~1800lbs); this was north of Phoenix on I-17 going northbound. Took an exit to let it cool down and to let my dog stretch her legs. "no parking" signs were posted, but no one bugged me for the 30 minutes or so I was there. 210 might technically not be that bad, but considering how dang much it cost to have this C6 rebuilt this year, and how hard it is to even find shops who will touch a motorhome, I need it to last.

Water temp was at 222.

Upper is pan, lower is TC output (uncooled)

Last edited:

bevtis

Reaction score
It has been a while since I’ve been on here, but I’ve done a lot since I last posted. I put a big Hayden transmission cooler on, new lines with AN fittings, and I routed the lines the way they are supposed to be. Now the temps don’t get past 160-170 when driving at highway speeds for extended periods of time. One thing I wanted to bring up is that when I took the old fittings and lines out of the transmission itself, it looks like someone smashed or bent the ends closed. Here are some pictures. This obviously can’t be normal right? I wouldn’t doubt that this also could have been part of my issue.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I may be wrong, but it looks like the nut on the line was tighter than the fitting in the transmission. Someone didn't realize that the fittings were turning and twisted the lines. You're right. That was probably the issue right there. At least you know that you now have a cool running transmission.