Building a better db2

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
To be quite honest, I can barely follow all of the technical details. From what I do understand, I can see that you're pushing things to and maybe past previously perceived limits. I guess you're following my old saying: "it's amazing what you can do when you don't realize that you're not supposed to be able to do something.":Thumbs Up

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Here's how the GM pump turned out, pretty good fueling adjustment for 350-500+hp, looking forward to seeing how the 6.5 performs with this much fueling.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The build thread for this truck will be up in a few weeks, but a local customer who’s been running my drop in 3582 turbo and a 110 pump recently broke a rod in his low buck na 7.3 build so he’s going to be building an idit for 500hp and wants a pump with plenty of fueling for that range. I wanted to see if I can get that kind of fuel without going to an expensive big bore rotor, so I built a housing up that’s completely gutted and straight forward to do head and rotor swaps on the stand in order to test different castings to find what range rotors perform the best. Once I found a rotor I liked, I started testing some proprietary cam rings made from scratch working with my local EDM shop. First one may have been too aggressive..

After a few snapped driveshafts, four siezed head and rotors, a broken plunger, a cracked housing and about 30 hours straight on the stand I found a winning combo.

This is with the governor locked out, so I expect to see a drop after setting up idle, but well over 500hp worth of fuel there just out of a 310 rotor, pushing through stock injectors. Yellow line is the spec for the 110 pump he’s replacing.

Excited to see this pump running and get it on the dyno, the potential is there to set another hp record if it holds up, and if it holds up it will be interesting to see how much the big bore pumps pick up with these custom cam rings. I’m pulling the pump off the stand now to run some other pumps I want to get out today, but I’ll pick up on this one this weekend and see how it does with a functioning governor and some tweaking.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The build thread for this truck will be up in a few weeks, but a local customer who’s been running my drop in 3582 turbo and a 110 pump recently broke a rod in his low buck na 7.3 build so he’s going to be building an idit for 500hp and wants a pump with plenty of fueling for that range. I wanted to see if I can get that kind of fuel without going to an expensive big bore rotor, so I built a housing up that’s completely gutted and straight forward to do head and rotor swaps on the stand in order to test different castings to find what range rotors perform the best. Once I found a rotor I liked, I started testing some proprietary cam rings made from scratch working with my local EDM shop. First one may have been too aggressive..

After a few snapped driveshafts, four siezed head and rotors, a broken plunger, a cracked housing and about 30 hours straight on the stand I found a winning combo.

This is with the governor locked out, so I expect to see a drop after setting up idle, but well over 500hp worth of fuel there just out of a 310 rotor, pushing through stock injectors. Yellow line is the spec for the 110 pump he’s replacing.

Excited to see this pump running and get it on the dyno, the potential is there to set another hp record if it holds up, and if it holds up it will be interesting to see how much the big bore pumps pick up with these custom cam rings. I’m pulling the pump off the stand now to run some other pumps I want to get out today, but I’ll pick up on this one this weekend and see how it does with a functioning governor and some tweaking.
Wes you're an animal! What a difference it makes to have your own test equipment!
What would be an ideal fuel curve? A straight line at whatever CC's of output you want? Or a rising line as RPMs increase? I love the progress brother!

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love those numbers Wes!

Fueling will always drop off with higher RPM, that's the nature of the db2/4... the more fuel he can get in the higher rpm range the better!

Any word on what part of the rod let go on that guys' engine? Any chance it was high RPM versus something else?

I'd kill to have a good 300+ to the ground, hopefully soon :cheers:.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This ones from awhile ago, waiting on a billet driveshaft to push it further. Max effort .370, lots of EDM work.

400cc at peak, 210cc at hp peak, should be good for 500+hp out of a fairly common head. I have five .450 rotors on the way for a special project, good stuff to come.

I believe this is the first idi pump to breach the 400cc mark.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess it's for the best that my E4OD is getting rebuilt at the moment...

What kind of injector would to plan on using for this?

Chemgrad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet pump. I've met far too many people who should have that sticker tattooed on their tongue.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I guess it's for the best that my E4OD is getting rebuilt at the moment...

What kind of injector would to plan on using for this?
This is 400cc running through a stock injector, (.5mm O/P) 1700 pop. Itll be running with a set of my stage ones on the engine so itll likely pick up some more fueling with the higher flowing nozzles.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I HAVE to love the warning sticker on there! There's been SOOO many times that I could have used one of those at work!:rotflmao
I believe that is an “OSHA Noncompliance Sticker” from AvE. He’s one of my favorite YouTubers. He has several different ones that he has sold over the years. I’d recommend his channel to everyone unless you’re easily offended. Also not really kid friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.