Brown Truck Under the Knife Project - Engine

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
IT RUNS IT RUNS IT RUNS!!!

Hehehehehehehe.
I think I might have pneumonia now but I did get the damn thing running and driving again. Would have got the 4wd drive shaft on there today but couldn't find it in the piles of snow infront of the garage.
But it runs and drives! WOHOOOO!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I drove it about 20 miles today. I had to get some winter fuel in it so I drove it to town and did that. It runs great! I ran it without the valve covers on for a while just to make sure all the pushrods were oiling the rocker arms and valves. They were so I hope I'm good to go this time. I'm not sure why but it builds boost about twice as fast as it used to, I wasn't even trying and I looked at the boost gauge and saw the needle over the 12psi mark. Thats 3 psi higher than the last time I ran it and I was babying the crap out of it today. I don't know why it was boosting that high.

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
Congats. to you. Motor must be more efficient to much more boost. Feels good when the heartaches and pains are gone though...;Sweet:thumbsup:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why but it builds boost about twice as fast as it used to, I wasn't even trying and I looked at the boost gauge and saw the needle over the 12psi mark. Thats 3 psi higher than the last time I ran it and I was babying the crap out of it today. I don't know why it was boosting that high.
You're getting that much boost out of an 088?!? ...I'm jealous....I wonder how much of that's the intercooler and what the other factors are? I can't build up boost to save my life unless I'm in 4th climbing a hill...and even then, I MIGHT be at 8 or 9 psi before I take my foot out of it due to EGT's...

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think your higher boost is partly thanks to the cold weather. Mine can just touch the 13 PSI mark too. On hot summer days it usually struggles to reach 9~10.

Congrats!

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I'd imagine that the valves are actually opening quicker, and with less friction?

Congrats on getting it back together. Didja have to remove the VP?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I did not remove the valley pan or intake. Just the drivers side cylinder head. Made for an interesting job but much better than pulling the cab, turbo, intake and all that to get the valley pan off.

spencergt66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you ever get a video of the truck driving/running the only one i saw was when it broke i bet alot of people would like to see the success side of the truck

indian347

Reaction score
Man have i enjoyed the hell out of reading this post. It's grate you got her back on her feet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! jim

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hehehehehehehe.
I think I might have pneumonia now but I did get the damn thing running and driving again. Would have got the 4wd drive shaft on there today but couldn't find it in the piles of snow infront of the garage.
But it runs and drives! WOHOOOO!

Good Job!! ;Sweet

Watch that pyro till you get some miles on her, I'm sure it's going to be a good one now. You've definitely paid your dues.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Ye asked and now received.
(Sorry I don't know how to make the files small so dial up probably wont work)

First time starting her after she had her little fit the first time around. Hopefully she runs longer than 75 miles this time around.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's a video of accelerating from 15mph to about 75.
You must be registered for see images attach

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Sorry about the crappy shadow in the gauge shot. I'll have to go for a real run when I get it broken in good and I'll put her in 5th and lay it down to show you how it runs. But I don't want to do that yet.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a great sounding motor Sean... Be proud of it... Your hard work paid off too. Sounds really healthy...;Sweet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well the wonderful Walmart batteries let me down for the last time today. I've gone through 3 sets in the short time I've owned and driven this truck and I'm not doing it anymore. It was -20* here this morning and the truck cranked and fired off but died and another 9 seconds of cranking and the batteries were completely dead. They were slow to start and completely dead in 10 seconds of cranking. Not to mention I wiggled the shifter in the neutral position to verify neutral and the damn thing broke off. UGH. If it isn't one thing its another.