Brown Truck Under the Knife Project - Engine

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't there some one here that was able to find NEW head castings off shore? I know they exist for the chevy 6.2s and cummins 12V. I've found those myself but was never able to locate the 6.9 goodies.

I still have the old heads from my engine but they would still need some work before installing them. Shipping would probably be high anyway.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Clearwater Cylinder Heads.... Alabama Cylinder Heads... Barnett Performance is the shop that offers head porting on the diesels. They tell you its a three option deal but I'm not so sure porting just part of the heads is a good idea. The really most important area of porting is the exhaust port. After the exhaust valve there is a curve in the port to the exit at the exhaust manifold... That sharp curve needs to be rounded out some so the flow is going thru there easier. Also the Exhaust side of the heads to manifold is really small and mismatched. Everyone at the rally and at Calvins BBQ saw my ported heads. There is lots of room for improved gas flow thru these heads. All the ports can have a mirror finish for better flow. Remember, these heads flow only cold air and hot air.. No gas or diesel is ever injected into the air flow... Its only injected into the cylinder thru the precups. Ebay has several other head suppliers too. If you going to do one head you may as well do both. Then take the crappy shop to court for ruining both heads but.. You need to establish how thick the heads are now. The new thickness is 4.805 and the minimum is 4.795....

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, since I don't think any pictures of Gary's ported heads have been posted, I'll add a few pictures of his "demo" head that he brought to Calvin's BBQ. I have a few others, but I think these 4 came out the best. The first two pics are of stock intake and exhaust ports; the second two are polished intake and exhaust ports. I left the images as big as I could, so you can get as much detail as possible.

Gary's work on this was amazing!! ;Sweet

Attachments

• Stock Intake Port.jpg
    Stock Intake Port.jpg
    698.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Stock Exhaust Port.jpg
    Stock Exhaust Port.jpg
    677.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Polished Intake Port.jpg
    Polished Intake Port.jpg
    917.6 KB · Views: 17
  • Polished Exhaust Port.jpg
    Polished Exhaust Port.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 17

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
With any luck the head will be off and I'll get some pictures for you guys today. It was -10* here this morning and its only about 4* right now but I'm sick of this crap and I need to know what happened in there. The biggest thing I'm afraid of is ruining the valley pan intake runners since I have the manifold torqued down on the other side. there is not much give. I dont want to break the seal on the other side though so hopefully this works.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The Carnage

I know ya'll like carnage pics so here's what I've got.

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm not sure what to call that. I'm happy to see the head isn't damaged but theres a beautiful new circle imprinted in my piston that wasnt there before. :eek:

Looks like something failed with the valve guide because the valve is concentric all the way around, its not bent. I would take it out and check it further but I dont want to mess with it until a professional can look at it and tell me if I could have problems with the rest of the valves.

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
I know ya'll like carnage pics so here's what I've got.

I'm not sure what to call that. I'm happy to see the head isn't damaged but theres a beautiful new circle imprinted in my piston that wasnt there before. :eek:

Looks like something failed with the valve guide because the valve is concentric all the way around, its not bent. I would take it out and check it further but I dont want to mess with it until a professional can look at it and tell me if I could have problems with the rest of the valves.

:eek:man that suck's you sent that time and money to rebuild it and then you have to go thow this crap. i hope your luck trun's;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't quite tell, but.....is that valve still open a crack??

I did find one of my pistons with a similar mark on it when I initially tore down the engine. Truth be told, that was part of the reason I had my pistons shaved off a little since I knew the heads were surfaced.

I almost wonder if a bad lifter could be opening it too far. Doesn't make sence that only one valve would do this and it looks like it wasn't a light touch as in my case.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, what was running out of the precup on the adjacent cylinder? It's looks like fuel has leaked out of the injector and ran down the head and into the cylinder. Was that from one of the Diesel Care injectors that you were talking about?

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well Sean... That sure looks like a bent valve that got hammered back up into the guide. If I recall you have the 6.9 7.3 tool set. In that red box of goodies you will find a valve spring compresser. It fits over the rocker bolt. Thats the way I would be looking at this. Get the valve out of the head and roll it on a piece of glass or mirror. Watch the seat for movement. If you can't do that chuck it up in a drill press and run it as slow as you can watching the seat runout. Just 1 or 2 thousands is all it takes to be bent and a bad valve... A bent valve will not slide back up into the guide. Now you need to figure out why this happened. Just fixing the valve wont keep it from happening again... You are on the right track looking for whats wrong. Nothing has just poped up to say... This is what happened yet...

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now you need to figure out why this happened. Just fixing the valve wont keep it from happening again... You are on the right track looking for whats wrong. Nothing has just poped up to say... This is what happened yet...

X2, Wonder if the valve stuck and the piston came back up and popped it? You didn't get it hot did you? Note it's an exhaust valve. That's where all the heats at. I wonder if the guides are clearanced correctly. Maybe they are too tight. Does it look like it's oiling good on top? Looks like it could have been a lot worse. I'd be encouraged at this point. I'd also get the valve out. I'd pull a couple other exhaust valves as well. Look for scouring on the stems and ck the clearances. This may go without saying but keep track of the holes you pulled them from and put them back in the same place.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
To answer a few questions, yep the valve is open about 1/16" which makes it just barely stick down below the profile of the head deck surface.
I have also thought of a faulty lifter or even possibly the pushrod slipped out of alignment and gave some extra lift to that valve. I haven't looked at the lifters yet. I was toughing it out pretty good just to get the head off today.
The valve does still move open and closed because I ran the motor with the valve covers off and could not tell what valve was causing the problem by simply looking for valve train interference.
The wet fuel does bother me. I'm not sure why but that injector was very wet when I pulled it out like it had been leaking. But I can't put it past them since they are Diesel Care injectors.
I'm hoping I can take some emery cloth to that piston take the sharpness of the impacted edge off and be on my way in that sense. I have some depth mics to check for exactly how deep that hit was though.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd look at that piston closely, and probably knock the ridges off the edges with some scotch brite or emery cloth like you said. Stuff a new valve or two in there, and run it. I'd be you had a rocker get misaligned and over extend that valve. Have a reputable machine shop check that head out and be sure the guide(s) are ok.

Your balls are bigger than mine for tearing the head off in that cold. I've been ******** about the weather here in NM being too cold lately...

Ryan

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Somehow you need to find out if the piston has cruched down on the top ring and froze it in that position. Maybe you can move the piston from side to side and watch if the ring moves away from the cylinder in that contact area.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I don't think the hit was hard enough to smash the landing into the top ring. The outside of the mark is actually so shallow that I cannot feel it, just see it. The portion closer to the center of the piston is deeper.