Bronco Rear tank

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anyone swapped there rear tank to the larger bronco tank? If so what all is involved...I would seriously love adding another 30% to my range, and giving up the spare is not an issue

Black dawg

Reaction score
Ive wanted to do this also. From what I remember from others doing it seemed almost a bolt in deal. Ive also considered an old behind the seat tank out of an old ford.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
IIRC the Stock bronco tank will bolt right up to the rear of our trucks, im not sure if this is 83-86 87-92 92-94 o any thing inbetween, but i could have sworn i head it bolts rightup

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have read somewhere it is a pretty straight forward bolt in, my bigger concern is
1. going from a "gas tank" to a "diesel tank"
2. the plumbing differences (I have not had either out to compare)

I will most likely go jumkyard diving for one in the next 2 weeks....my routine as of late is from a 750 mile round trip from phoenix to so cal...it would be seriously nice to hit a truck stop on the way out of az and not have to fill up again until I cross back in....based on what I am doing no it should increase my range past the 700 mile mark,,,,daddy would be happy =)

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll need the tank off a MPFI-equipped Bronco, the diesel fuel pickup and sender assembly will fit right in there. Now making the float register the larger tank, that I'm not sure how to go about...

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which motors/years were mpfi?

as far as the float I am going to go to all aftermarket gauges......as it is my guess gauge works fine...i always have no gas when I fill up, 3/4 of a tank 30 miles later, and 15 miles after that I am empty again.....but damn, I can runn another 150miles with the needle burried at E

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I used a tank from a 96 bronco I was parting out anyway. the tank in the bronco mounts in the frame rails, I used the cross sections as spacers as the tank is way deeper than stock. drill out the top of the rails to match the stock bolt locations and its a direct bolt in from there. the level sender off the bronco unit fits on the diesel pickup to run the fuel gauge.

great mod imho.

punk

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
I used a tank from a 96 bronco I was parting out anyway. the tank in the bronco mounts in the frame rails, I used the cross sections as spacers as the tank is way deeper than stock. drill out the top of the rails to match the stock bolt locations and its a direct bolt in from there. the level sender off the bronco unit fits on the diesel pickup to run the fuel gauge.

great mod imho.

punk

so with my body lift i could raze it up in the frame then:dunno that would be sick :sly

dukedrummer89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a gas tank out of an 85 bronco in my truck, everything bolted to the front crossmember, but the back crossmember was to far back for the skidplate to bolt to. I took a peice of 1/4in angle Iron and put it between the frame rail, drilled a couple holes and its been good ever since.

I will get some pics

Todd C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this a few years ago when I was rebuilding. I had the same issue with the crossmember and did exactly that. I put a piece of angle across the frame behind the tank and attached the straps under the tank to that. See the pictures below. I believe this was a 86 Bronco tank. It had the larger opening for the sender/pickup (mpfi) and I used plastic so I didn't have to worry about diesel compatibility... I modified the pickup to reach the bottom of the tank, but the fuel level sender doesn't work. Next time I pull the bed I'm gonna try to fix that.

Attachments

• Rear_Fuel_Tank1.sized[1].jpg
    Rear_Fuel_Tank1.sized[1].jpg
    82 KB · Views: 63
  • Rear_Fuel_Tank2.sized[1].jpg
    Rear_Fuel_Tank2.sized[1].jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 59

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score

great mod imho.

punk

can you elaborate on the cross sections and how you used them as spacers please? i just picked up a complete bronco tank with sending unit out of a 96 for $30.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you elaborate on the cross sections and how you used them as spacers please? i just picked up a complete bronco tank with sending unit out of a 96 for $30.

If you could document your findings if you can even get some pics. Alot of us I'm sure want to do this but don't want to lay out money for the wrong parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online