Bringing the F150 back to life. Issues with replacement E4OD. Any ideas?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Those who went to the 2011 rally will surely remember I blew the trans out of my Mom's '91 F150 about 10 minutes from the campground we attended. I met Corey(Dieselcrawler), Jason (Freebird01), Ron(Dieseldogcatcher), and a couple of others for the first time as they came to pluck my as$ out of trouble. I immediately knew that there is a great bunch of guys who belonged to the Oilburners web site. Corey wound up towing the truck back to Jersey even though I had little more than enough cash on hand to cover fuel and tolls.

The truck wound up sitting as there just weren't the funds to get a rebuild. I wound up rolling the dice and purchasing an E4OD with conv. and 1356 case attached for $400 off of CL. The guy said it was a Ford reman with 4,000 miles on it and there was a tag that clearly stated that it was a Ford reman. The converter also was stamped remanufactured. There were no leaks, fluid was crisp red in color, and he had a deep pan with drain plug installed for easy future servicing. I looked in where the t-case attaches and it looks to be clean as an operating room with fresh paint stick lines still plainly visible.

Along with replacing the trans, I had to repair about 6' of the rear brake line, put in a new battery and replace the die cast ignition linkage in the tilt column.

I decided to take it out for a test drive tonight. It started out being stuck in 1st gear. I shifted down one detent to what I thought should be 2nd gear and it went through all of the gears and locked up into overdrive as it should. After the first stop I could only get it to shift from 1st to 2nd using the shifter. In the drive position, it would run in 1st gear but free wheel if you went to 2nd, picked up some more speed and then back to drive. I came back through the neighborhood in 2nd gear and parked it for the night.

Tomorrow I will check the fluid level again and all of the electrical connections. I am also going to replace the electrical piece that I guess tells the computer what gear it's supposed to be in, it looks pretty beat on and I have a spare. It slides onto the gear selector linkage that protrudes out of the tranny. I am also going to go through the manual and make sure the linkage is adjusted properly.

Is there anything else I should check out? I really do not know too much about automatics as I usually steer away from them because this is where I wind up at.LOL:frustrate Thanks in advance guys.:angel:

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what year e4od is it? also there is a repair harness that should be used when installing a new transmission.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I am not sure of the year truck it came out of, pretty sure it was a 92-96 vintage. All of the harness ends fit into their proper location, I guess the harness repair kit couldn't hurt, will keep it on my mind.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I Adjusted the shift linkage, the indicater and the electronic doo dad on the left hand side of the trans. It shifts good now, put about 45 miles on it. The TC isn't locking up though. The temp gauge isn't moving up to the normal range either. Does the temp sensor control both the gauge and trans functions?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Tranny temp is measured from the TOT. Seperate from the engine coolant.

No converter lock up could be from a number of problems. TOT is one. A bad S3 solenoid is another. Both will throw trouble codes.

A damaged Teflon seal (converter hub) or a sticky control valve. Fluid level high or low. Can cause this too.

Check the solenoid pack connector for damage. Scan it for codes.

The problem could be the seal. They can be easily damaged when installing the converter.