Bodywork - let the fun begin.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'd go for a new fender and door. The fenders are cheap and being in the south you could find a used door cheap. It wouldn't cost much to spot in a door and fender. You could have them painted and then install them on the truck after.

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have already checked on the door, local salvage yard wants 300.00 for the door. I am on a budget (aren't we all) and have already replaced the electric window motor that was bad. Could you recommend a place to get a fender? I'll look around for a door probably have to put up with the one on it for now. Thank you for the information. I saw a nice 1990 F-350 CC Dually 7.3L N/A on E-bay for sale. Seller said, "He was hit on right front by a delivery truck." Looks like hood damaged right front fender couldn't tell on the door, but seller said the right door wouldn't open. Price was $2,400.00. Bedliner includer, camper painted to match the truck. Truck color is shade of red. I wish I had the coin to buy but don't. Seller said he needs to get rid of the truck. I believe it is in North Carolina. Maybe some one can use the truck? I think it goes off of bids today. gsg

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have already checked on the door, local salvage yard wants 300.00 for the door. I am on a budget (aren't we all) and have already replaced the electric window motor that was bad. Could you recommend a place to get a fender? I'll look around for a door probably have to put up with the one on it for now. Thank you for the information. I saw a nice 1990 F-350 CC Dually 7.3L N/A on E-bay for sale. Seller said, "He was hit on right front by a delivery truck." Looks like hood damaged right front fender couldn't tell on the door, but seller said the right door wouldn't open. Price was $2,400.00. Bedliner includer, camper painted to match the truck. Truck color is shade of red. I wish I had the coin to buy but don't. Seller said he needs to get rid of the truck. I believe it is in North Carolina. Maybe some one can use the truck? I think it goes off of bids today. gsg

www.car-part.com It's a salvage yard parts search engine

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That's looking great! Our family's Jr body man, #1 son ( he's all of 11 now, did his first major rust restoration on a car when he was 9 :hail Was drooling over those pictures ;Sweet
He's chomping at the bit now, he can't wait to get started on the truck. I already told him he's going to have his choice on how he wants to paint the thing, just have to wait for the right time of year to roll around for funds to match up with fun :D

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
That is indeed my WMO setup behind the fender. Simple, small, cheap to build and effective. I was going to start on the cab this weekend but I might be too busy, I bought a smashed 94 Mustang GT for $909 (the price of the tow/storage bill) to strip for the good stuff....Ford racing X305 aluminum heads, Edelbrock fuelie intake, Powerdyne 6psi supercharger setup, 5spd - the works....It's all going into my 63 Mercury next winter....425-500HP when I'm done. That car was scary fast as it was so it will work as good or better in my Merc...It was my best friends car, he's lucky to be alive....140km/h when it got loose and sheared off a telephone pole.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
brt-
careful with the high build primer. if it's too thick, the paint wil chip very easily later on, especially around the edges of the panels.
I learned this one the hard way. A couple of years later, I then learned about how dangerous K200 primer is too. I shot that stuff without proper filtration and wound up in the hospital for a week. My lungs have never been the same since.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I wear a Norton respirator with cartridges when I'm spraying it...I hear ya on the chips, had the same issue with my 63 Mercury. Over 2 gallons of high build on her.

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks tonkadoctor for the salvage parts information, will checkout the price for a door. gsgIDI

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great so far ;Sweet . It took me a while to figure out, but I have come to the conclusion after 5 years in the Northwest that mold and moss are easier to remove after winter than rust. Every time I'm under my truck I can't believe how much cleaner it is than anything I drove in the salt back in Cleveland.

Good job taking pics along the way. I completely redid the body on a 79 Bronco when I lived back East and I was really dissapointed when I was done as it looked great but I didn't have any before pics to see where it came from.

Keep up the good work.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happened to you with the primer Calvin, what kind of breathing protection were you using? Scary stuff. I don't mess with bodywork much but I might at least be replacing the front fender and the hood sometime soon so it won't look so ghetto.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I hate bodywork but it needs to be done to save the old girl...It won't be a show truck but it should look ok. It's had previous repairs so it's hard to make it really straight. Door pins tonight, I spent the weekend stripping a smashed 5L Mustang for all the go fast goodies...Blower, aluminum heads, 5spd and etc for my 63 Mercury.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Just an update, bought my paint yesterday - base/clear in the factory silver. Sent my fenders out today to have the insides painted. I'm working on the cab now. I hope to have the truck painted in the next 7-10 days.;Sweet

discbrks

Reaction score
I'd love to see some pics of the Merc. Are you installing the 5.0 as EFi or carb? I put a 92 5.0 (efi) in my 64 Falcon Sprint with the Mustang 5-speed. I love those kind of projects. If you run into any problems, let me know. I may be able to help.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Here you go:

You must be registered for see images attach

Low mileage 94 302 shortblock (hypers) re-ringed and new bearings
ARP rod bolts, main studs and head bolts
FRPP X302 aluminum heads
B303 roller cam, 1.7 roller rockers
Weiand stealth intake
Mallory Hyfire 6AL box, FRPP 9mm wires
Aeromotive A1000 pump and A2000 regulator (already had them)
Blowthru prepped 750DP carb
Powerdyne supercharger 6psi - might upgrade to 9psi pulley.
****** super-comp ceramic coated longtube headers,
2.5" duals with MAC mufflers, H-pipe
Extreme Velocity carb hat

I was figuring it would be around 425-500HP at the crank but it will be dyno tuned to make the most of the combo