Bodywork - let the fun begin.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'm no bodyman but it's time for the old Ford to get some new paint...Being a cheap SOB I can't see me spending $2000+ to have it painted so I'm going to prep it myself and have a co-worker shoot it for me (he used to own a body shop). I'm taking the box off this week to replace two rusted out crossmembers with some .100"wall box tubing and to fix a couple of holes in the q-panel and floor....Otherwise the box is very good. I have another tailgate in storage to go on the truck - MINT condition with the big 87-91 "FORD" on it.;Sweet along with some new Deezee aluminum checker plate bed-rail caps, brand new factory correct 16" hubcaps and a "Canuck" brand sunvisor. I have another box to place on the truck until my original is finished. The frame will be cleaned up and undercoated as well at this time....

Now for the cab - it's really good for a rust belt truck with 419,000KM on it. The floor is excellent as are the doors. Minor bodywork and it should be ready. Up front it needs two fenders and a rad support....There goes $600 in a heartbeat.:puke: :rotflmao I'm thinking Polyurethane should do the trick for paint - tough and durable. I use the old rig too much to make it pretty...I'm alway's hauling junked Fords, wood, gravel, water and etc. Here's a recent before shot...That's a complete 90 F250 4x4 on the trailer ($200:D ) More pic's to come.

You must be registered for see images attach

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Probably the same color or something slightly ligther and with more silver in it. The red interior lowers the color options...LOL...I am considering a two-two with a black stripe in the middle.

discbrks

Reaction score
A lot of people don't like the red interior, but I love it. Factory-type tutone job would look great.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely redid the red interior in my 86 - it took alot less time to pull the whole interior out, prep all the interior plastics, paint them, and put it back together than it would take to paint just the xcab. Anything that wasn't plastic I just glued new fabric over in the color I wanted. I did buy new buckets, though. Just an idea if you do want to change the color - making the interior less red isn't too hard.

BTW discbrks, that is a really nice looking truck for 395k...

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I like the red interior too...I was just saying it limits your exterior color choices. Truth be told, I'd be happy with a new coat of the same color as long as it's shiny and there's no rust to be seen...LOL...Time will tell, if I do two tone it I will have it pin striped too to cover the blend line. I also need to find some new wheel lip mouldings, mine are getting corroded bad.

discbrks

Reaction score
BTW discbrks, that is a really nice looking truck for 395k...

Thanks, it now has 397k. I can't wait to take a pic of the odometer at 400,000.0 Still got the orig. fleet green paint on it too.

I also need to find some new wheel lip mouldings, mine are getting corroded bad.

I can get some from my local Keystone dealer for about $30.00 each if you can't find them anywhere else.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I'm picking up my two new fenders tommorow, $90 each plus taxes. I'm having a hard time finding a new rad support. The fender supplier said $200 but they are on indefinite back order. He's trying to find me one. I did find one at another shop for $250, 3 days away. The box is coming off this weekend to start the repairs and one of my "used Ford parts inventory" boxes is going on so I can still use my truck.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well my hats off to ya....I cant fricking stand body work. It was without a doubt one of the worst things I put myself through on my truck. It took so darned long its not even funny. I got myself into it way over my head, I had no idea what the heck I was doing in the beggining. You really need a LOT of patience to do body work, and it appears I dont.

Plus you got all that body filler dust everywhere on you...thats annoying.

Good luck with it though :D LOL

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The two new front fenders are being shipped in overnight for pickup tommorow...It was my b-day today and I got some cash so that's all going to buy my paint supplies. The wife said "that's not much of a birthday present"....I said "like hell it ain't, new paint on my truck would be sweet"....LOL....She just rolled her eye's and said "ok as long as your happy I guess"....Women just don't get guy's and their trucks I guess.:dunno cookoo :rotflmao

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Red, with silver and black looks killer! Trust me I know!
You should do that.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Got my fenders today, $203 out the door for the pair. I can get new fender trim for $20 per piece so I'll order a new set of those too.;Sweet Picked up $170 worth of body work supplies too. I can't wait to get started.