Bodywork - let the fun begin.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Let the fun begin....We swapped one of my parts mule boxes on to the truck this afternoon, I'll get started on the repairs tonight. Needs some floor/wheel tub work and 2 crossmembers replaced. The truck frame and cross members looked good, nothing to need repair. The rear sill of the cab needs a little repair but nothing serious for an 17yr old truck from the rust belt. I'm going to clean up the frame and undercoat it with dripless oil before the box goes back on.

I need a favor from a BOOB man in the south with a rust free bed:D ....Could someone give me exact measurements to the middle box hold-down bolts and how thick the 2 crossmembers are above the rear axle. I bought some steel but I want to try and avoid shimming the box on the frame upon reinstallation. Mine was so rusted it was impossible to measure them.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
I vote for the grey color that it is! hehe... not that im partial to grey or anything..... hahaha... i did very minimal or i should say i attempted a little body work on my truck.... it came out ok, saved some money....... it was fun.... good luck on your venture, itll be nice to see when done....

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I hate bodywork but I can't afford to pay someone to do it..LOL....I have a 3yr old daughter here now and we are expecting twins in September (boy/girl) so it looks like I'll be driving this truck for a LONG time...:rolleyes: .....Not that that's a bad thing....I love this old beast.;Sweet :love:

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
dang, you're brave.... twins + 1, lol....nah i thought the body work was fun and had i started sooner on it i would have done more of it myself.... its just tedious work.....

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
A little update as to the progress...I got started on the rust repair tonight. I cut out the rust in the wheel tubs and welded in patches along with a long in the bed rail...Looks good so far. I'll try to finish the top side repairs tommorow night so I can get it flipped upside down;Sweet .

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I finally finished welding up the box....All the patches are done and the new crossmembers are in. I have a mint tailgate here off an 89 and I got a free 88 F350 rad today from a buddy....Pretty good shape, a hell of a lot better than the one in the truck too.;Sweet ...If it passes the pressure test I'll paint it and put it in when I do my rad support. I'm going to start the bodywork tommorow.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I started the bodywork on the box yesterday, looking good so far. I ordered my rad support today, $255 plus tax. Should be here Thursday hopefully. I should have the box finished this week. I want to start the cab this coming weekend. I'm going to drop off my fenders and rad support to be painted this week. I might be going with base/clear, $300 would cover the paint supplies to do the truck in the " cheaper" Omni paint line. PPG would be double the price for the same stuff.

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
being that it is a workhorse and not a pavement princess i would go with a colour that (sorry) tremclad carries so that any beauty marks you get after the paint job can be easily band-aided without much hassle I only suggest it because i do the same

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I thought of that but I'd like to have something that I can wax for the 1st year or so....LOL...The only "beauty marks" that it usually gets are on the bed rails and I have some new DeeZee aluminum checker plate caps/tailgate protector here to go on it to prevent them....I painted a truck with tremclad before, I know what you mean about easy touch ups...LOL

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
A little update for those interested, I shot the box with the first coat of high build primer tonight. Looks pretty good considering the meathead that did the bodywork....:D :rotflmao ....I'll block it out with 180-220 and then shoot it again for the final 400 grit. I have to prep the new tailgate and sunvisor before I get into the cab bodywork and fender install. I think this is going to turn out pretty good. Won't be dead straight but it will be a 20ft'r.;Sweet

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I found a place on the internet for paint. www.paintforcars.com then go to trinity1945 limited in color but I like the price. They have all kinds of primers,clearcoats, polyurethane,laquers and they can be purchased individually or as a kit. You need to check it out if you do not have the paint already. I plan to use them when I repaint my truck. Check out the testamonials to see results and peoples comments. gsgIDI

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Here's a couple of pics of the progress. I picked up new door pins/bushings at CarQuest today for replacement this weekend. Everything is done with high build primer...I love that stuff....;Sweet

Last edited:

gsgIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
The primer looks great. I need to either repair or replace the left front fender on my 90 F-350 and door. Previous owner lost the battle with something concrete that he hit. It is cheaper to replace the fender and door rather than do the body work myself. I am on a budget, hubby shakes his head when I do work on the truck and just walks off. I would rather do the work myself than listen to him fuss at me for spending the money to have it done professionally. gsgIDI