Block heater

budget95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody know the amperage a 1000w block heater will pull? I need to know If my cord will do the job.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Most store bought cords will do the job for a few hours specially out in the cold.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Now that I don't know I would guess for a couple of hs it should be fine but if it is that long then I would get the lowest gauge # extension cord I can find at the store.

Last edited:

budget95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a chart that states that 100ft of 16ga is good up to 10amp, 14 ga for 13amp and 12ga for 15amp. I suppose I could cut it down to 50ft, thats supposed to be good for 13amp at 16ga.

Anybody use carb and choke cleaner to start there truck? I tried the WD40 thing and it didn't work.

Last edited:

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Divide 1000 watts by 120 volts and you get about 10 amps (8.333 to be exact). I wouldn't use smaller than a 14 ga cord for this. Remember the smaller the number the larger the cord. So use a 14 ga or 12 ga cord and you should be good to go.

budget95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the help Exekiel and Jcarr.
Any insight on the carb cleaner?

DragRag

Reaction score
Carb cleaner? I have never sprayed an cleaners down my intake. Is that advisable or something people do to clean up oil from the recirculated gases from the crankcase?

budget95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the guys I work with said that diesel tech that works on our trucks uses it instead of either. I guess its less harmfull to the motor.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a chart that states that 100ft of 16ga is good up to 10amp, 14 ga for 13amp and 12ga for 15amp. I suppose I could cut it down to 50ft, thats supposed to be good for 13amp at 16ga.

Anybody use carb and choke cleaner to start there truck? I tried the WD40 thing and it didn't work.

We used to use WD-40 to start our buses, it worked fine but I used to have a little diesel rabbit and WD-40 wouldnt start it.
I dont think it's potent enough to get the fire going

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carb cleaner should do the trick. The thing that makes starting fluids work is a low flash point for ignition. That's why wd40 is not working in all applications. It has a higher flash point. The higher the flash point of the starting fluid the less potential there is for damage to your engine. I have even used a spray bottle and unleaded gas to start some old stubborn tractors. It works and is no where near as damaging as ether. Just remember that starting fluids don't contain the lubercating properties that diesel does and can wash down a cylinder if you use to much or to offen.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add the low flash point of the starting fluids is what causes the timing advance that is damaging to your motor. This advance is "chemical" and not mechanical. How do you chemically advance you motor? By using a starting fluid or chemical that has a low flash point. The starting fluid will ignite before the piston has reached TDC and you then have a piston moving up and an explosion moving down. Which wins? Which is stronger the piston or the explosion.

budget95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jcarr I appreciate the help. I've been useing starting fluid about 2 weeks now. Then I finally changed the 4 bad gp and did the bush button bypass last weekend. Still wouldn't start without spray. So with the amp #'s you gave me last night, I felt safe putting a cord out the window. The truck started great. Ah no more starting fluid at home, now to convince my boss to let me plug in at work.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Don't be too liberal with the ether, that is a out in the woods no start kind of thing for this engines at least.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online