Blew up my rear end today. Your have one?

DragRag

Reaction score
I will post a pic soon, Anyway, I am needing a new rear end asap. I am hoping to find a dually 3.55 geared unit. Mine is a 4x4 so a 4.10 will not work for me because I really don't want to do a ring and pinion swap. My pinion gear looks mighty nice hanging out the bottom of the rear end housing. My driver slid it about 125-150 feet down the freeway today with a 26' flat bed in tow, when it locked up, luckily it was empty. Anyway, if you have a rear end it would be great, I could use some dually wheels to since all I have is singles right now.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the reason it did this is because the ******* crush sleeve in these rears is a piece of **** design, looses tension and the nut gets loose, and isnt meant for trucks. I have ruined 2 yokes this year because the nut gets loose and "works" the splines on the yoke.

I am doing the design of a solid spacer and shim kit to set it like a dana pinion.. It will eliminate the nut loosening, take a bit more setup time but only once.

DragRag

Reaction score
And the reason it did this is because the ******* crush sleeve in these rears is a piece of **** design, looses tension and the nut gets loose, and isnt meant for trucks. I have ruined 2 yokes this year because the nut gets loose and "works" the splines on the yoke.

I am doing the design of a solid spacer and shim kit to set it like a dana pinion.. It will eliminate the nut loosening, take a bit more setup time but only once.

Well, lets have at this one. This is the forth time I have had to do work because of this situation myself. This is the one catastrophic time though. I do heavy towing all the time so I need some reliability. As you can see in the pic, although it is hard to see, there are some gears hanging out the bottom of the housing. This blows, literally.

DragRag

Reaction score
I found an 85' dually rear end with 3.54 gears out of town. Looks like it has a Dana cover on it in the pic. Would an 85' be a Dana axle, or Sterling?

You must be registered for see images attach

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Why not use a long pinion/short yoke 10.25 from a 93+ truck..? I've had good luck so far with mine. The old short pinion one came loose on me twice and rounded off the splines quite nicely til I made the swap..

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I found an 85' dually rear end with 3.54 gears out of town. Looks like it has a Dana cover on it in the pic. Would an 85' be a Dana axle, or Sterling?

Believe you could get either a dana or sterling. Is it from a pick up or a cab-n-chassis. There is a big difference

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

that's a sterling.
if it was a dana, the cover would be smaller and the drum wouldn't be falling off.;Sweet

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always heard the sterling was a tough axle. I do agree however the crush sleeve isn't a very great design.

DragRag

Reaction score
OK I found a closer one. I am getting the dually 3.54 rear end, two wheels, and some black door panels for 85'. I have never seen black door panels in my life, and he says they are very nice. Well see about that, I have never seen good door panels in a truck for pre 87' before. Couldn't hurt to have those panels though if they are cherry.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The dana cover would also have a fill plug in it unlike a sterling....Never had any issues with my Sterlings but I did junk one F350 with a loose yoke....Now you have me paranoid to check my 98 Expedition (5.4 with the towing package) as it has a small pinion seal leak that I've been meaning to fix....:rolleyes:

DragRag

Reaction score
99-09 250/350 and 00-04 excursion, according to Randys Ring and Pinion

I think I will pass on this idea. I like direct bolt in stuff usually. Maybe this new dually rear end will last a little longer. Looks like I will not be needing those dually adapters after all. I'll be needing two more steel dually wheel, or some alloys if anyone has some.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73