Blah

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna vent a little bit here....but why is it that I can't get stacks to sound worth a crap on my truck? Powerstroke and cummins guys can just straight pipe and it sounds good and not ridiculously loud. I don't care for the sound of a straight piped IDI, it sounds too much like a gasser.

So I got an itch lately to put my stacks back on...so I did, and now I remember why I took them off in the first place. No, I never ran them straight piped...but I tried three different mufflers that I have around.

#1- Walker 21172 (I think it's actually a resonator)- If I run the exhaust out a dump or out the side of the truck, with this muffler it sounds freaking awesome (probably the best sounding IDI I've ever heard, all you can hear is the turbo). If I run it through the stacks, it resonates a lot and sounds too gasser-V8-ish. Yeah, the turbo whistles good, but beyond that I don't care for how it sounds at all.

#2- ****** Maximum Flow- Put it on for ***** & giggles, doesn't sound any better than the walker and cuts a lot of the turbo whistle, took it right back off.

#3- Magnaflow diesel muffler (can't remember if it's the 12771 or 12772 offhand)- This muffler is enormous so I thought hey, maybe it will just be quiet and I could run the stacks without the sound driving me nuts. Nope, put it on, cuts almost all of the turbo whistle and just sounds like a V8 gasser all the damn time, and it's not even that quiet.

I give up, this time I should probably just take everything off and sell it, if I even can.

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you seem really picky about how you want your truck to sound lol It's your prerogative and i hope you can get it just the way you want it. I've always figured the way it sounds is the way it should sound. I run a 3" straight pipe to the rear of the truck and i am pleased with the sound/performance.

I thought about a single stack, but until (if i ever) I get some more performance from my engine it just seems like adding a fart can on a ricer. all show, no go.

don't give up, just keep messing with it. isn't that the fun part?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strait piped sounded pretty good with mine. I'm running a magnaflow right now and frankly I hate it. Thinking of installing it on my dad's diesel since his exhaust is ripe to fall apart anyway and I'll go back to a strait pipe on mine. Might as well switch to a 4" pipe while I'm at it.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I AM picky about how it sounds, yeah. I guess I have a little Powerstroke and Cummins envy when it comes to sound.

Straight piped the truck is just too raspy for me, I tried it once (through a tailpipe) and I've seen videos of other people's straight piped stacked trucks...I don't like the sound and it seems too loud to deal with on a daily basis.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree it was raspy but at least there was some turbo noise audible. I also liked the way the ground would tremble when ever my dad would get home from borrowing the truck. Maybe I'll get another ponie or two for going to a 4" pipe.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the sound of my Banks exhaust. The muffler keeps all the rasp out, but you can really hear the turbo very well. I've heard a few guys drive my truck and I couldn't beleave how nice I sounds driving down the street. It sounds quite a bit different in the cab, but all exhausts do. It sounds like a turbo diesel should.

Heath

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...like I said, I was happy with the sound of the side exit setup I had...I just really wanted to put my stacks back on. Guess I won't be able to keep them :dunno

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got a straight 3" exhaust. I like the sound of it for normal driving. At about 2000 RPM it gets a serious cackle to it. But when I pull my 5er, WOT and higher RPM are the norm, and the cackle reverberating back at me off the concrete baracades and guardrails gets old pretty quick.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...I found something I want to try as a resonator. Figure it's worth a shot anyway.

jjrky

Reaction score
Get you a air tank off of a big truck and make a muffler out of that it sounds great on my 7.3 IDI non turbo motor but i bet it would sound better with a turbo just something to thank about some like it some don't

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the sound of mine. I have my 2-1/2" downpipe into a 3" stainless pipe, into a Y splitter, then 2 2-1/2" pipes to the stacks, then 2 adapters to get the 2-1/2" up to the 4" stacks. Sounds great with the Hypermax turbo as the only muffler. :dunno Don't forget, you can pick up more whistle with an open element air filter. Sounds a lot better than my stock PSD.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get you a air tank off of a big truck and make a muffler out of that it sounds great on my 7.3 IDI non turbo motor but i bet it would sound better with a turbo just something to thank about some like it some don't

An air tank huh...how big is that? Got any pictures?

So it's just hollow inside?

jjrky

Reaction score
air tank

Ya just like my head nothing there:dunno

Attachments

• Picture 081.jpg
    Picture 081.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Picture 080.jpg
    Picture 080.jpg
    474.7 KB · Views: 5