Bit the bullet and got a truck...

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Well went to look at a 91 F250 7.3IDI 4X4 for $1500. Has an ATS turbo and the drivetrain looks good (slight leak possibly from valve cover), pulls hard and straight but has wonder brakes (hit the brake pedal and wonder if youll stop). The biggest downside is the body is beat to hell complete with slight rust on the rears of Extended cab rear doors (but underside looks to be completly rust free). Although one quick question, truck has an EGT gauge (Ill be honest and admit I didnt get the truck hot enough to tell if it works) but no boost gauge, the only time the tach would work is under boost (E4OD tranny), any chance when the ATS turbo was installed it was wired so the tach was the boost gauge? (Current owner bought it turbo and doesnt know squat about it mechaniclly...including if the EGT works or even what it is...). Glow plugs appear to be working correctly (was dead cold when I got there and started on the first crank or 2 and supposdly untill it gets into the negatives starts without the block heater) was sitting on an 1/8th tank and never stumbled or acted low on fuel even on steep up or down hills so guessing fuel pickup is good and no signs of air in the fuel system.

Hes cleaning it out now but once I pick it up Ill post some pics, theres a dozen or so F-250 and f-350 locally in the junkyards so hoping I can get most the body work fairly easilly, also figuring Ill bleed the brakes multiple times and see if it helps enough for me to trust them towing, if not hydroboost time.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
you should see at least 3-500 deg even just putting around on the pyrometer, if not something isn't working or broken /disconnected/ loose wire.
Chances are the rear brake shoes need adjustingm the auto adjusters on these things arent the greatest, you have to crawl under there once in a while. If the parking brake goes down more than half way, they need adjusting

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
If the parking brake goes down more than half way, they need adjusting

My guess is that the parking brake is not hooked up on this truck... Sounds like a decent deal. Good luck with your new project.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey congrats on the truck. I think you hit "two birds with one stone"
You now have a full time hobby, and if you were not married before you are now.:D

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first thing I would do is fix the tach.
E40d trannys use it as there life line and will function like crap without a good tach reading and can ruin it.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
you should see at least 3-500 deg even just putting around on the pyrometer, if not something isn't working or broken /disconnected/ loose wire.
Chances are the rear brake shoes need adjustingm the auto adjusters on these things arent the greatest, you have to crawl under there once in a while. If the parking brake goes down more than half way, they need adjusting

Was sitting at 300deg and never moved but all I did was a quick loop around the block with 1-2 hard accels to 25-30 (unfamiliar residential and going past a park with an active softball game so was more worried about making sure I didnt hit anything/anyone). That and the fact that my talks with the PO pretty much proved he is definatly not mechaniclly inclined so didnt want to risk excess caviation before I could get decent coolant in it (and replace all the other fluids, but I do that anytime I get a "new" car/truck) And wow its been so long since I played with drum brakes (besides on the trailer, anything Ive touched brakes on recently is disc front and rear) I forget they need adjusting on occasion...

Hey congrats on the truck. I think you hit "two birds with one stone"
You now have a full time hobby, and if you were not married before you are now.:D

Oh trust me between the race car and my semi recently accuaried trailer (spending $$ I shouldnt be...) Ive got plenty of hobbies, planning on getting the body worked out and make this a reliable DD for now without doing much in the way of additional mods (probbly get a WMO filtering system setup along with a bigger fuel tank but thats it untill I have more $$ and less "hobbies")

The first thing I would do is fix the tach.
E40d trannys use it as there life line and will function like crap without a good tach reading and can ruin it.

Took a quick peak at the tach diag flow chart in Mel's library but I cant retain stuff like that without a hands on to go with, any ideas on possible causes? (PO wiring or just loose wire that makes contact under boost?)