Bio Question

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I know this prolly isnt the right forum to post this in but I thought it would get the best feedback.

So there is this guy in Cincinnati that has 250 Gallons of oil, and 250 gallons of glycerin with the methanol unrecovered.

Is the glycerin just the waste?

What will it take to make the oil into bio what will I need to buy?

Should I go ahead and get the oil???

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have to take the glycerin to get the oil? There is a way to turn the glycerin into black powder, but I don't know it, and otherwise it is waste. I have been burning mine in bonfires and can tell you that it gives a nice green tint to the flames.:D
I would certainly get the oil, it can be blended and as long as you have two tanks and can start on dino diesel you should be able to burn it up to about 70% without issue

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
Heck I dont even know what type of oil he has yet. So your saying I can add 70% oil to 30% regular diesel?

Im not getting on what your saying about starting on dino diesel. Are you saying I need to get the truck warmed up on running regular diesel before switching to the oil/diesel mix?

Oh BTW yes he said I got to take the glycerin to get the oil...

Are there any materials I must buy or stuff I need to make to do this?

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
Glycerin drops out of solution when making bioD so yes it is waste. Some make it into soap and sell it, but separating the residual lye and methanol from it is the challenge. If you have to take both I'd think twice. Waste is waste.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck I dont even know what type of oil he has yet. So your saying I can add 70% oil to 30% regular diesel?

Im not getting on what your saying about starting on dino diesel. Are you saying I need to get the truck warmed up on running regular diesel before switching to the oil/diesel mix?

Oh BTW yes he said I got to take the glycerin to get the oil...

Are there any materials I must buy or stuff I need to make to do this?

The main problem with running high viscosity oils in these trucks is that the ip shaft is weak and can shear on a cold start with thick fuel. WVO also has a tendency to gum up ips if it sits there and gets cold. I run 70% WVO 30% diesel in one tank and run 100% diesel in the other. I start on diesel and switch to oil when the engine gets up to temp, and then switch back to diesel about 5 minutes before I get to my destination.
There are lots of threads hear about burning blends if you search about.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The main problem with running high viscosity oils in these trucks is that the ip shaft is weak...

I'm not sure it is fair to call it weak. It is designed that way. I'm sure if the hyrdaulic head were to lock up on you, that you would rather have your IP shaft shear, then have a few teeth or worse in your gear train destroyed. That comment aside, you are correct. Think of the way a hydraulic jack works. If the cylinder was filled with peanut butter, the jack handle would never go down until the temp got high enough to melt it.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it is fair to call it weak. It is designed that way. I'm sure if the hyrdaulic head were to lock up on you, that you would rather have your IP shaft shear, then have a few teeth or worse in your gear train destroyed. That comment aside, you are correct. Think of the way a hydraulic jack works. If the cylinder was filled with peanut butter, the jack handle would never go down until the temp got high enough to melt it.

I guess that did sound a little dismissive of the pump. The standyne is not a bad pump, but my other vehicles are benz diesels and those have inline pumps. You could probably pump peanut butter through them without problem, but they are an exceptionally strong pump.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish ours had inline pumps too. The only time I'm glad it is a rotary is when I have to buy or rebuild one. ;Sweet