Big steering issue

EvergreenRanch

In Transition
Reaction score
ok to bring everyone up to speed that is reading this, i thought i had the infamous tilt steering wheel problem that has plagued a few of the forum members. 3 pick and pull steering colums later ( each had parts i needed, none were complete ) i still have the same problem, but its changed slightly.

The Truck: 89 F250 xlt lariat n/a 7.3 idi, tilt column, manual transmisison. 4 inches of lift, previous owner lifted truck himself and im not sure if he got a longer pitman arm or anything of that nature, if that helps, but its deffinitly NOT a commercial lift kit (leaf spring replacement from a bigger F series if im not mistaken)

On to the problem:

Whats Wrong:

1. steering is firm to one side

2. turn opposite way, there is a "void" of no resistance (approx. 75 degrees worth) and then it will turn the truck in that direction (its actually gotten a little better, column had a crck at the top where it connects to the steering wheel assembly).

3. this is a new-to-me truck, so im not sure, but it looks like fluid leaking from the steering box

Whats Been Done So Far:

1. the steering column has been replaced from firewall back

2. no play in the bearings, or in the steering column bushing, no play in colmn itself (no up down, no side side)

What I Think Needs To Be Done (PLEASE CORRECT ME):

1. The connecting shaft between the steering shaft and the steering gear box. (i think the U joint might be messed up....is that a possibility?)

2. Im not sure if it even exsists, but im guessing there is some type of bushing or other "consumeable" part that the connecting shaft fits into at the steering gear box.

3. could this somehow be an adjustment issue with alignment or tie-rods?

Its been ALONG time since i had auto shop boys, so i apoligize for my ignorance, but id like to take care of this myself before resorting to a mechanic or stealership. god bless and thank you for any and all responses in advance. i dont care what you have to contribute whether it be info, resources, experiences...you name it....i need more leads to figure out whats wrong.
:confused:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
check the ragjoint at the steering box,its on the end of the steering shft.its mad of rubber and deteriorates with age and oil leakage on it.also check the slip joint on the steering shaft.i had so much wear in thos to areas in my old F350 that wasnt even funny.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online