big hp idi

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
With the 6.0 being more modern, I would expect it to flow pretty damn good. But maybe our heads were just sorta over engineered. Possible?

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our engines were over engineered completly an some will agree only bs thing that happened last min. Cheap db2 pump style from around the 40's it's good I think for what some use it for but never was gonna make power.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
A rotary pump pretty much needed to be used. With a V type engine, in a pickup (so the engine doesnt fit completely in front of the firewall like medium duty + engines), an inline pump couldnt really be used (where would they put the intake?). An inline engine can have a long IP as they dont have the width/length problem as a V engine (cant really put a pump on the side of a V engine as they are a tight fit between the fenders as is).

idibeast

Reaction score
So im still trying to figure out, whats the weak point, do we just not have the fuel or boost to push into the 500+ rwhp range, or are our drivetrains just to inefficient? We obviously have the head flow, and i think with some work, boost shouldn't be a problem. Ive never been inside a DB2 pump but is there any physical limitations to how big the plungers could be, could somebody custom CNC some massive plungers. Remember this isn't necessarily a daily driver engine.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well after head studs have been done, there doesn't really seem to be "a weak point." More of a limiting factor. Which as all these guys have already pointed out to be fueling. But you can still get real close with the pumps already offered.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Axels are snapping at 500 horse db2 is done at 100cc's we've been over this that's why nmb2 an racin running db2/4 hybrids. You can put an inline on there. It's been done. Rods are gonna hold 500hp but not for long an as a non daily easy. There is so many turbos out there it's not funny! Idi power? Cryo treat everything inline pump 4angle valve job an polish custom fuel lines an pumps BTS e4od trans. Combine turbos. Gauges, balance rotating assembly wieght match rods an shot pin them you can have custom bullet Idi rods made 1850 bucks 1050 custom roller rockers niether have been done but there's a place really just open your wallet an it's really easy no one has done it. Shoot hypermax build made so much power the block flexed an needed rubber water plugs the brass were popping out. I would say if you had the dough a 400-550 daily driver could be done with top line parts an thought. 500 is about the limit on the rods though info straight from hypermax.

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The limiting point with these engines IMHO is cubic dollars. Hypermax used to offer a inline pump kit for them and as far as I know hypermax is the only company that put serious r&d into making big power out of the 7.3 and 6.9. After head studs if boost is pushed high enough the vally pan will blow out but that can be fixed by studing it. Once you increase power or boost to the next breaking point with enough mony it could be fixed, hell with enough money you could have custom precups made with groves inthem for fire rings, if the block becomes the weak link with enough money youl could have a custom block built, we are only limited by our wallets and imagenations.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BUILD

Stud heads
Stud Mains
Stud intake

Main bearing cap Girdle

ARP rod bolts??? not sure if applicable

Polished and shot peened rods/ turbo rods..

Roller Rockers

Cam and lifters and springs...Typ4 J2 or what you choose

CC'd and matched PRE cups

I am a fan of Bronze valve guides

Custom swirl polished valves

Ported heads, checked for flatness, minimum cut for true flat!

Custom intake/mod for better seal for more boost...Justins manifold idea

Custom exhaust manifolds or SHORT THICK WALL tubular headers and custom turbos.....one or two in compound or two in paralell or three one for each bank feeding a third....or supercharger and turbo....sky's the freakin limit here right?

Custom DB2/4 or Super Moose, OR INLINE! Or dual DB2/4's or super moose!

Super Moose misters!

custom Turbo pistons / ceramic coated and moly coated, teflon pin buttons perhaps..

Total Seal zero gap rings!

Check crank/ maybe get a stroker????????

Block
. checked for main bearig bore straightness/size align honed if needed
. checked for deck height and true flat, machine if needed
. bored/sleeved as decided
. deburred and all bolt holes chamfered

All rods and wrist pins and associated parts cryo treated

IC

N2O

Propane

Done right, this setup should net you a very significantly lighter wallet, a very very nice engine producing a nice power range with good solid Hp and high Torque. It comes down to three main components for these engines, Cam, turbo setup and fuel....IMHO

I'd love to build a setup like this, not sure how I'd run the turbos....

This just may net more than figured power levels hard to say

We know what both Justins have accomplished and their respective power levels and clearly this is going to run with them...and hopefully then some, but for me I don't have over 10K to drop on a dream engine!

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So im still trying to figure out, whats the weak point, do we just not have the fuel or boost to push into the 500+ rwhp range, or are our drivetrains just to inefficient? We obviously have the head flow, and i think with some work, boost shouldn't be a problem. Ive never been inside a DB2 pump but is there any physical limitations to how big the plungers could be, could somebody custom CNC some massive plungers. Remember this isn't necessarily a daily driver engine.

A 180cc Db4 can get you dang close to that 500hp mark. I really do think it can hit it especially with nitrous. Its just at that level, the rods are at their limit. But who actually knows until someone does test them at that power level for an extended time though. It will definitely be interesting to see how well RacinNdrummin's stock engine lasts with that much fuel. :D

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The limiting point with these engines IMHO is cubic dollars. Hypermax used to offer a inline pump kit for them and as far as I know hypermax is the only company that put serious r&d into making big power out of the 7.3 and 6.9. After head studs if boost is pushed high enough the vally pan will blow out but that can be fixed by studing it. Once you increase power or boost to the next breaking point with enough mony it could be fixed, hell with enough money you could have custom precups made with groves inthem for fire rings, if the block becomes the weak link with enough money youl could have a custom block built, we are only limited by our wallets and imagenations.

Hypermax was working on a gasket that had a sort of fire ring but idk how close to being finished it is. Last time I talked to Ron there, not much more development had occurred...

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BUILD

Stud heads
Stud Mains
Stud intake

Main bearing cap Girdle

ARP rod bolts??? not sure if applicable

Polished and shot peened rods/ turbo rods..

Roller Rockers

Cam and lifters and springs...Typ4 J2 or what you choose

CC'd and matched PRE cups

I am a fan of Bronze valve guides

Custom swirl polished valves

Ported heads, checked for flatness, minimum cut for true flat!

Custom intake/mod for better seal for more boost...Justins manifold idea

Custom exhaust manifolds or SHORT THICK WALL tubular headers and custom turbos.....one or two in compound or two in paralell or three one for each bank feeding a third....or supercharger and turbo....sky's the freakin limit here right?

Custom DB2/4 or Super Moose, OR INLINE! Or dual DB2/4's or super moose!

Super Moose misters!

custom Turbo pistons / ceramic coated and moly coated, teflon pin buttons perhaps..

Total Seal zero gap rings!

Check crank/ maybe get a stroker????????

Block
. checked for main bearig bore straightness/size align honed if needed
. checked for deck height and true flat, machine if needed
. bored/sleeved as decided
. deburred and all bolt holes chamfered

All rods and wrist pins and associated parts cryo treated

IC

N2O

Propane

Done right, this setup should net you a very significantly lighter wallet, a very very nice engine producing a nice power range with good solid Hp and high Torque. It comes down to three main components for these engines, Cam, turbo setup and fuel....IMHO

I'd love to build a setup like this, not sure how I'd run the turbos....

This just may net more than figured power levels hard to say

We know what both Justins have accomplished and their respective power levels and clearly this is going to run with them...and hopefully then some, but for me I don't have over 10K to drop on a dream engine!

Good list. A lot of that isn't out of the realm of possibility either. The funny part is that Justin did a lot of that stuff you mentioned to his engine. Lol. And fire that matter, Heath has even done a lot of that stuff as well. I do think it would be cool to see Heath max his Moose setup out and throw a better turbo on there. I bet it would push some really decent power with as much effort as he has put into that engine. His engine does run nicely as its though. Haha

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of desiel experience, but if what you want is increased HP.....is there a way to move the torque curve further out in the rpm band. Since HP is simply a mathmatical calculation of TQ at a certian RPM you could move the torue curve up in the RPM band to get more HP. On gasser engines this is done with a high flow intake/exhaust/cams. Then find a turbo that can push enough cfm at the high rpms. If you had everything balanced, what is the safe RPM'd of these engines?

In short, to make more HP you don't always have to increase the torque.....you can just shift it to a higher RPM. This is how I can get 300hp out of my 3.2L gas engine that makes 260 ft/lbs.

The real question with any build is defining what you are going to use the engine for. Do you need TQ? Do you want HP? What RPM wil the engine be run at?

Lot's of good discussion in this thread. Thanks

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is the way i see it. if i had twice as much hp at the rear wheels as i do now i would be happier than a pig in poo! to do that, i am simply adding a turbo, the biggest moose mel can make, and intercooler and injectors. this is coupled with a healthy 7.3 and 5spd as evidenced by relatively clean oil after about 500 miles after oil change.

i just switched to the PSD oil filter so it should clean it up even more.

This truck has been 3 years in the making and will do everything that i want it to.

i could go down the road of making this thing put 400-450 hp at the rear wheels but it just doesn't make economical sense to me. you can get 485/820 flywheel with and 6.0 with a simple inline ecu plug in from hypermax, everything else is just there.

that being said, racin and nmb seem to be doing things just to see what they can make the motor do. that, i have respect for. it's research and development. i like that.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PSD filter

this is the way i see it. if i had twice as much hp at the rear wheels as i do now i would be happier than a pig in poo! to do that, i am simply adding a turbo, the biggest moose mel can make, and intercooler and injectors. this is coupled with a healthy 7.3 and 5spd as evidenced by relatively clean oil after about 500 miles after oil change.

i just switched to the PSD oil filter so it should clean it up even more.

This truck has been 3 years in the making and will do everything that i want it to.

i could go down the road of making this thing put 400-450 hp at the rear wheels but it just doesn't make economical sense to me. you can get 485/820 flywheel with and 6.0 with a simple inline ecu plug in from hypermax, everything else is just there.

that being said, racin and nmb seem to be doing things just to see what they can make the motor do. that, i have respect for. it's research and development. i like that.

How will a larger filter cleanup an engine if it is a standard efficency filter? the only thing that changes with a larger PSD filter is the amount of extra oil it holds. other than that nothing is changed.
All your filters you purchase from wally world Napa Discount are 20/40 micron Nominal wich from an efficency point is bare minimum.
Now if you purchase an Wix 1734XE filter Now you have made a huge difference and are catching particles the standard filter just lets pass through.

Javier

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How will a larger filter cleanup an engine if it is a standard efficency filter? the only thing that changes with a larger PSD filter is the amount of extra oil it holds. other than that nothing is changed.
All your filters you purchase from wally world Napa Discount are 20/40 micron Nominal wich from an efficency point is bare minimum.
Now if you purchase an Wix 1734XE filter Now you have made a huge difference and are catching particles the standard filter just lets pass through.

Javier

javier,
it is my understanding that the PSD filter hols more oil and filters at a slightly lower micron level than the normal filters for my 89 idi

i am considering a bypass filter though. just not yet