Bids to host the 2017 OB Rally

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
im not sure if there is a camp ground picked out yet but if there is a KOA in the area of the rally I would recommend them. I have had good luck with them for the past few years. their prices are fair and their camp grounds are usually nice and clean.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For you PA and north east guys, if your going to Nashville, it's probably better to go the I-81 to I-40 route down through Bristol and Knoxville. I've made the trip that way and to me it's not nearly as brutal as going across the mountains through WV and PA. If you really hate yourself, take 70 to 68 through WV over to 79 south through to 64 out toward Huntington. That would be quite a workout towing. 81 is pretty flat until you turn across the mountains down toward Bristol. Once you get past Kingsport, if memory serves its pretty smooth sailing the rest of the way to Nashville. For you west coast guys especially in SoCal. Get on I-40. Drive. A lot. LOL

Over in KY, I've pounded that stretch of 64 over from the Huntington to Lexington a lot. It's not too bad the further you get from WV the better. The bluegrass parkway out of Lexington is also not too bad save a few hills if memory serves down toward Elizabethtown where you meet up with I-65. If truck traffic bothers you, 65 is not the place for you. It's the major north-south artery in that part of the country. I watched my dad white knuckle that stretch a couple times. Doesn't bother me. It does him though.

Anyway... watching..... waiting...

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ooof... 1000 miles...

I really feel leery about going that far in the old girl. AAA only tows up to 200 miles, lol.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Ooof... 1000 miles...

I really feel leery about going that far in the old girl. AAA only tows up to 200 miles, lol.
Not trying to scare you but when Gary broke down on this last rally it cost him hundreds to just get his truck and trailer off the interstate a couple miles to the nearest walmart. That was with AAA membership to.

Just check what is covered. Having said this I have towed 500+ miles one way with my idi on a regular basis and no membership. It pays to have a truck that is easy to fix sometimes.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is where convoying pays and having people know the general route you are taking so that rescues are made simple. ;Sweet

subway

Reaction score
This is where convoying pays and having people know the general route you are taking so that rescues are made simple. ;Sweet
Very much, when we brought Gary back to the campground it just cost us time and a couple bucks in fuel. He did donate generously towards us but I would have been happy to just help him out.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well looks like I'll need to scout out some TX members to convoy out there. And pack tools, fluids, parts, and filters.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rally members tow pretty far too.

I have towed 500+ miles one way with my idi on a regular basis and no membership. It pays to have a truck that is easy to fix sometimes.

Yup. It was just under a 600 mile haul for the camper/truck this year. That's 1200 miles round trip. I've been to three in PA so far, one in Michigan, one in Illinois.... all big trips. That's part of the rally fun. Making these old girls work like they were built to do.

Convoys are nice, but no one really in my area to run with, so, I've made all these long trip as a convoy of one.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but her Expedition wouldn't be much help hauling the 5'er if the crew cab took a dump. LOL

Heath

subway

Reaction score
True, but her Expedition wouldn't be much help hauling the 5'er if the crew cab took a dump. LOL

Heath
Yea but it can be a life line for parts! And it can separate rowdy kids lol. Fortunately I have never broken the truck to where I could not get somewhere.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin