Better ride out of the rear suspension

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tired of my truck having the ride quality of a Conestoga wagon.

Looking for input on how to get the best ride quality out of my rear suspension.

Already have a plan in place for the front - SAS is in the works.

Truck is equipped with on board air, and air bags in the rear - controls in the cab so the air bag pressure can be adjusted on the fly. So I want it to ride better unloaded - extra weight will be compensated for by the air bags.

Along with the SAS, I might be looking to lift the rear a couple inches to match the front.

Shackle flip in the rear?

Maybe source some F-150 rear springs?

Or switch to Super Duty B code springs?

It rides pretty nice with a minimum of 1000 pounds in the bed - I want it to ride that nice unloaded.

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super duty springs front and rear, in 99 ford discovered variable rate springs, along with relays.....all after only 100 short years lol

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought someone made a rear coil suspension conversion for these trucks?

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those look pretty slick, but $380 is a little more than I'd be willing to invest.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 86 rides really good. It is all stock save for Monroe Reflex shocks. It has good suspension movement going down the road and glides over things that would buck me in my Dodge. Maybe its just that I'm used to driving my cinder block of a Dodge for the past 10 years.
Travis..

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Tired of my truck having the ride quality of a Conestoga wagon.

Looking for input on how to get the best ride quality out of my rear suspension.

Already have a plan in place for the front - SAS is in the works.

Truck is equipped with on board air, and air bags in the rear - controls in the cab so the air bag pressure can be adjusted on the fly. So I want it to ride better unloaded - extra weight will be compensated for by the air bags.

Along with the SAS, I might be looking to lift the rear a couple inches to match the front.

Shackle flip in the rear?

Maybe source some F-150 rear springs?

Or switch to Super Duty B code springs?

It rides pretty nice with a minimum of 1000 pounds in the bed - I want it to ride that nice unloaded.

How much weight do you normally carry? If you are not loading heavy most of the time try this.
Do you have helper/auxiliary springs? If so if the main springs are sagging slightly the helpers either rest on the brackets or sit too close and give it a rough ride. I would remove the helper spring. Another trick is to remove the second longest spring in the pack. This will make it ride softer but will decrease your load carrying capacity . I ran a 87 f250 without the second spring for years. Your air spring will take any extra weight anyway.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Overloads are long gone, the airbags sit in there place.
I have a big fifth wheel with 1700 pounds of pin weight.
It only sinks the rear suspension down about an inch; 50 pounds in the air bags brings it right back up to where it was.
Maybe I'll try pulling one of the leafs: wouldn't cost me anything if I don't like it.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found that pulling one of the short leaves at the bottom really helps soften up leaf springs. The short ones are REALLY stiff, so it will make a difference you can feel.
Travis..

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Super duty codes and research your shackle angle. You can get a decent ride out of stiff springs witch the proper shackle angle. You don't necessarily have to flip it either. B code springs are a little longer and sit better on the pivot

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, that is freakin cool. Have you actually used these towcat? I may have to think about that. If you add up the price of a a set of SD springs and then a super high quality shock to get the best you can get with what you have, it might be worth it.
i've driven a buddy's F450 wrecker and it's a night and day difference. wished I done this years ago to mime.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7kx65IbXIY

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what im doing is drop down frame with control arms mounts with semi air bags. im getting rid of my tandem axle set up