Best replacement starter?

DontKnowJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've changed more starters on these things than I have oil filters. Can anyone please tell me the best replacement starter? I need the brand and part #. I've been given the wrong one more than once. Thanks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The question is why first.. Are these rebuilt known starters. Are you cranking for long periods of time. Are you using a gear reduction starter. Are the batteries up to full charge and are all the connections clean. Even the best starter will be ruined if the battery cables are shot or the batteries are shot. As a starter cranks slower and slower the volts are going down and the amps go up. this slow cranking burns up the starters. So don't crank a slow turning engine....

DontKnowJack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had 3 diesels in the past 3 yrs. They have all needed starters. This is the first for this truck. It's had a slow death for the last 3 weeks, grinding and clicking itself to death. Hot batteries, good cables, new alternator.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I am immensely impressed and happy with my Nippendenso starter. It was a little pricey but the engine never spun so fast.;Really I purchased it as a new unit from a small local rebuilder upon his suggestion. He also told me that Delco made starters for these engines and are not worth the space they take up. I think Mitsubishi is the third starter and may be the most common one, correct me if I am wrong.

Attachments

• denso starter.jpg
    denso starter.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 80

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
look for a DB electrical starter. myself and many others here have been running them with good results. and they are not overly expensive

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i got one of those gear reduction starters from advance auto, boy does it crank fast! Coupled with the G31 batteries i think i can start it with molasses in the engine.

BTW, i ponied up for a NEW starter from advance, they have a reman in stock but im skeptikal of them.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Go with the nippondenso starter. It will spin faster and last longer than the others. I went in to the local diesel electric shop looking to buy a mitsubishi starter and he didnt want to sell me one. Too many problems with them Hed rather sell the denso and not have it come back on him. only time he sells the mitsubishi jobs is if there is a clearance issue where thr denso won't fit.
With any, make sure you have STRONG batts and good cables . ( just because the cable end is intact, doesn't mean that the cable itself isn't corroded beyond recognition the moment it receeds into the casing causing so much resistance that no juice can flow.) A pair of group 31s batts with 3/0 cable can do wonders

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have a bosch (new) starter with a lifetime waranty. Its been great since I bought it about 3 years ago.