Best Ports For Bypass Oil Filter

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Racor LSF RK873F engine oil bypass filter to try out on my 6.9L. Am pondering the best pressure and return line hookup points.

The Racor instructions are kinda generic and not well illustrated, but they seem to show hooking the pressure side to the same place on the block where the oil sender (and turbo feed) line goes. The return looks like it goes to the small 1/8-in plug in the lower part of the block, just above the pan rail and forward of where the oil filter/cooler bolts to the block. Questions:

1) Does that 1/8 inch plug in the block go straight through into the crankcase, or somewhere else?

2) There's a plug on the filter housing, just above the filter facing forward. Does that tap into the dirty side of the oil flow as it appears to?

3) Would teeing in a bypass filter (w/a .040 orifice to the oil pressure sender/turbo oil feed line down on the block near the bellhousing starve the turbo for oil?

Still researching these things in my manual, but I don's seem to see the direct answers there. Some of you guys that have had the lower ends apart on the IDIs might know the answer easily.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of the 1/8 plugs on that side of the block are pressure oil. If memory serves. I would not add any more to the turbo supply port, especially something that drains to crankcase. I know the orifice is small, but starve the turbo once and it is done.
I have never been able to get the plugs out of the oil filter head without a fair amount of heat so YMMV.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never been able to get the plugs out of the oil filter head without a fair amount of heat so YMMV.

Getting the plugs out of a 6.9 on the drivers side is a real PITA too. The one by the bell housing, and the one in front of the filter have never been friendly to me. A 4 point socket is mandatory, but all I have is an 8, and it's a waist of effort to try and use it cause it will round the corners right off. The few that I got out I have worked hard at.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting the plugs out of a 6.9 on the drivers side is a real PITA too. The one by the bell housing, and the one in front of the filter have never been friendly to me. A 4 point socket is mandatory, but all I have is an 8, and it's a waist of effort to try and use it cause it will round the corners right off. The few that I got out I have worked hard at.

Agnem: Believe it or not, I was able to get the plug out in front of the cooler with a three-inch long 5/16 open end! I stuck a wire in there and it went in 6 inches. Is this a gallery plug or a direct tap into the crankcase? If it's a gallery plug, there's my answer for the pressure side hookup so as not to disturb the turbo oil feed (aftermarket Banks).

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a gallery which feeds the crank mains. Probably went in until you hit the bearing.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That little square pipe plug above the filter is a good spit to feed off. Get a special square pipe plug socket from the snap on truck for it. It's an odd size, Mine is loaned out, I'll try to get the size . I think it's 9/32. Use -4 aeroquip or JIC fitting and hose there with a firesleeve on it.
For a return, take the plate off that covers the injection pump mounting screws and braze a -4 steel bung to that for a return, or you can buy an oil cap from Amsoil that has a return line fitting in it.