Best Method to flush the cooling system?

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I want to flush my cooling system with tap water for a while and I was thinking that I could potentially add some brass fittings at the heater core inbound hose to attach a 3/4" garden hose (which I could then cap off when not in use) and add a 3-way ball valve on the return 5/8" heater hose from my rear tank heat exchanger along the frame. I could then drain as much coolant as I could from the ball valve for proper disposal, then hook up a hose in the engine compartment and open the frame rail valve and flush it initially without the engine running to replace as much as possible with water. Then turn on the engine and let it run with the hose on until it reached temp and let it run for a good 10-15 minutes with cold, clean water.

Wondering if I should use any cooling system flush products before this? I have 1 year old radiator so it shouldn't be too dirty in there.

Anyone?

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
mine is soooooo due for a cleaning. havnt done one yet, and dont know when it was last done. i have a prestone flush kit that has plastic fittings and hooks up to a hose, dont know when ill get around to spending 100 bucks on new coolant.

NJGearhead666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
preston sells a kit that does this bought it as advanced auto for 9 bucks does exactly what you talk about doin just alot cheaper then brass fittings

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Yeah I used a kit in the late 80's on another vehicle. My issue is that the fittings are plastic and probably won't last but a few years. Brass would probably outlast the truck.

preston sells a kit that does this bought it as advanced auto for 9 bucks does exactly what you talk about doin just alot cheaper then brass fittings