best investment so far

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
I'm sure some of you have already heard of the high torque starters at db electric online. They're cheap (100+shipping) and are stronger than our stock starters. Well my starter went out so I ordered one. Holy **** am I impressed! It has never started this quickly. It sounds different than my old one, maybe because its a gear reduced starter? I dunno, all I know is so far I recommend this thing if you're needing a starter. I was hesitant because it sounded too good to be true but I went for it and so far it is exactly as described.

Just to help out others lookin for starters.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
My only caution on this is how long do they last. I have the 4 kw starter that DB sells on E bay for the PSD's. I put it on my 96 PSD. Bought it at a local shop I spend major fleet $$ at. They take care of me. After about a year and a half, it was dragging. They rebuilt it for free. Now a year and a half later, it is dragging again. So maybe not a bargain. I'm going to get something else or the genuine Denso version.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an $89 DB for over 1.5 years, maybe 2, and it cranks as well as it did new. My truck starts up quick even in the winter so it doesn't see any stressful long cranks which I'm sure helps keeping any starter alive.
Bad batteries and/or bad battery leads will kill any starter so make sure everything is up to par and it will last.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
My only caution on this is how long do they last. I have the 4 kw starter that DB sells on E bay for the PSD's. I put it on my 96 PSD. Bought it at a local shop I spend major fleet $$ at. They take care of me. After about a year and a half, it was dragging. They rebuilt it for free. Now a year and a half later, it is dragging again. So maybe not a bargain. I'm going to get something else or the genuine Denso version.

Sounds like a battery or cable problem, not a starter problem. If you have weak batts or too small or corroded cables or cables with bad ends offering poor connection, your starter will not last due to excessive draw. You wil burn it up prematurely, and that sounds like what you have going on .

5 years on a denso starter here, spins like crazy on 2 group 31s batts with 3/0 cable ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I agree a new gear reduction starter is great! Although my direct drive stock starter was perfectly fine until the pant shop decided to run the battery's down trying to start it (WTS light guys come on). After that, it was never the same (I figure they got it way to hot).

But the best mod was the turbo LOL

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
hey guy i got a question though. i have a zf5 im gonna be putting in and im wonderin, are zf5 and e4od starters identical? i didnt see a specification for either on dbs site so i assume they are. just wanted confirmation on that.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
hey guy i got a question though. i have a zf5 im gonna be putting in and im wonderin, are zf5 and e4od starters identical? i didnt see a specification for either on dbs site so i assume they are. just wanted confirmation on that.

Starters are identical, as I havent been told otherwise. Should be able to swap trannies, and use the same starter ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online