Best batteries to use?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
NAPA group 31 at 950 cca and 175 in reserve. Looks like 3 yr warranty too, didn't notice that when I got them as they all seemed to be 1 yr. They were about $104 per. Tractor Supply had 900 cca and a few lbs lighter for $100, was at NAPA and asked and they wouldn't match but went down to almost match for what it's worth. Only had them maybe 2 months so can't comment on quality but seemed like a a fair price. I'm of the mind to go with the most cca and heaviest battery you can find. Weight = quality with batteries.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I bought CAT batteries for mine. Picked them up from the local Caterpillar store. They're 880CCA's, they're maintenance free and so far I've been very happy with them as the temps drop into the single digits. I can get you a part number if you'd like.

Used to be an Interstate and Optima fan... Not anymore.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only need one just purchased a new one after the 10 year old one got tired

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
Running a single group 31 from AutoZone... Haven't had any problems out of it... The last one from advance auto lasted about a year then melted linternally. guess that's what I get for only running one battery. Never left me stranded tho. 950cca 1185ca 125rc screw post.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a pair of Cat group 31s for a little over four years now. No problems other than owner error. If you upgrade to group 31s, you might consider upgrading your battery cables to 4/0 or 2/0. Well worth the extra $, IMO.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think, on subjects like these, it's more helpful to discuss what products to avoid. Lol

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, 2wd, 5.4L, automatic

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Uhh... aren't they 2/0 already?

Quite possibly. I redid all of my battery cables when I replaced my batteries; it's been awhile.
Regardless, the cables are probably at least 20 years old. Just like anything else, they wear over time. Good preventative maintenance.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
I think, on subjects like these, it's more helpful to discuss what products to avoid. Lol

You'll still end up with mixed reports/opinions. For example, I think Wal Mart batteries are crap and Napa batteries are mediocre. But you can see from this thread alone that many like both.
Guess it's just best to take these type of threads as a FWIW.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll still end up with mixed reports/opinions. For example, I think Wal Mart batteries are crap and Napa batteries are mediocre. But you can see from this thread alone that many like both.
Guess it's just best to take these type of threads as a FWIW.
I know. Lol
That's how these things are, but all discussion can be useful. I tend to find more value in what to avoid rather than recommendations, but that is particular to me.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with the Interstate ECONOMY batteries. They are $39.95 each and have a 30 day warranty. I have bought a grand total of 6 of the Economy batteries (2 sets in the Ex, one is a previous vehicle and one currently in the Jetta) and have had no issues with them. The only bad thing about the Economy batteries is they either have to come from an Interstate All Battery Center, or off an Interstate Truck, but I have a shop on the way home. Honestly, if a battery doesn't fail fairly quickly, it should give you a good life. I got 4 years out of the last set in the Excursion, and with all reports I have read, I was EXTREMELY lucky to get 4 years from a set of batteries in a 6.0. The 6.0 is very ******* batteries, and most guys report getting about 3 years from a set before they start to go south. This is even with the more expensive batteries also, like the DieHard Golds, and even the high end (not AGM) Interstates. The one in my Jetta would start it with a failing starter (The battery confirmed it was the starter) without help, the battery that was in there needed a boost to start the car with the same starter. I look at it this way, I can buy 2 or 3 sets of Economy batteries for the price of 1 set with a warranty that will get me 20 bucks of my next $100+ battery...... I will stick with the Interstate Economys.... they have not caused me any issues........

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW - HOLY CRAP on the Odyssey battery! Too bad they are so damn expensive. I'd love to swing a pair in my truck.

I just replaced a set of Red Top Optimas that lasted 12 years. I'd heard they put them together down "south" now, so I avoid them. What I am running right now in all of my trucks are O'Reilly group 31s. I believe they are made by Johnson controls, but don't quote me on that. All I know is that even around 15 degrees the one battery I have in my 86 F250 6.9 starts it just fine, and it's almost two years old. But I have a Duralast from Autozone in my Harley (Just to show I use whatever is good and not just stuck on one brand like I was when I was a Sears Die Hard Gold addict), and I have one Energizer 34/78 from Wally World to transfer from the tractors to whatever needs a temporary battery (though it's sitting in my dad's 86 W150 plow truck right now)

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's the area I'm in, but I can't get a good interstate battery to go to hell for it. I've had nothing but bad luck off of the truck. My brother works in a garage and gets a nice price so I've tried a few.

Might just be my luck though.

If it makes any difference, I just replaced my OEM Harley battery last year that lasted 12 years without fail. So I guess in the end it all evens out.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
We sell interstate batteries and I've never heard of the economy versions, I'll have to look into it. Too late now, I've put 400 worth of batteries in my truck and jeep already this winter, should last a while now.
The duralast gold I had in the jeep sucked.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle