Best batteries to use?

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I brought a pair of Motorcraft Max 850 batteries when I picked up my truck three months back. I'm a bit of an OEM nerd though, but I feel they were worth the money.

Matt33

Reaction score
ive been told interstate is the way to go and only buy a pair with 1000cca each? i live in SD and it gets -40 some nights just dont want to spend a little money if i need the best.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will get many responses. Just like you would if you asked the same question about tire brands or motor oil brands. I bought a set from Walmart and they are doing fine, been two years so far.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
The biggest ones you can fit.

I just put a set of 31p-MHD batteries in mine today. 950 CCA/195 RC each.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Walmart ever start Maxx been running those in my suburban and F-250 has been a great battery.

Just don't buy Superstarts from Oreilys they have been the biggest piece of Cr*p I've ever bought -cuss

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I use group 31 yellowtop optimas as they are narrower than the smaller optima batteries and fit in the van well. They're 925 CCA and 1100 CA I believe.

I use this charger when it's sitting in the garage as it doesn't get driven dailiy.

http://www.amazon.com/Pulsetech-Pul...908369&sr=1-5&keywords=xtreme+battery+charger

Not sure what the difference is between this charger and their non parallel version, but it seems to keep the batteries in great shape. Been over a year and they're always charged up and when I go on trips they stay charged perfectly.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
You will get many responses. Just like you would if you asked the same question about tire brands or motor oil brands. I bought a set from Walmart and they are doing fine, been two years so far.

^^^That.

FWIW I have always had good luck with Die Hards. They last stupid long, I get minimally 6 years out of them. The one I had in my '69 F250 finally went after over 10 years.
I get the Gold for my diesels.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^That.

FWIW I have always had good luck with Die Hards. They last stupid long, I get minimally 6 years out of them. The one I had in my '69 F250 finally went after over 10 years.
I get the Gold for my diesels.
That's the brand I was trying t to think of. I didn't know if they were around anymore. I haven't seen them much lately, but, then, I don't battery shop often. Lol

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, 2wd, 5.4L, automatic

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are two main companies making all these batteries, with the exception of the optimas. Johnson controls and... Not sure the other. So go big, best warranty, and price. I have had better luck with one vs the other (although I've also found each is better at certain sized batteries, so it isn't across the board one better than the other), but can't recall which. Motorcraft will surprise you; they are very competitive on price and warranty. I've used them, interstate, and Walmart recently with good results, all top warranty batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just personal preference, and due to having a small fleet, I just get mine at Autozone. Makes it easy to remember where to go.

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
That's the brand I was trying t to think of. I didn't know if they were around anymore. I haven't seen them much lately, but, then, I don't battery shop often. Lol

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer, 2wd, 5.4L, automatic

It's Sears' brand. I believe they're available @ K-Mart also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dented73

Members online