Best batteries to use?

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
I've had good luck with the Interstate ECONOMY batteries. They are $39.95 each and have a 30 day warranty. I have bought a grand total of 6 of the Economy batteries (2 sets in the Ex, one is a previous vehicle and one currently in the Jetta) and have had no issues with them. The only bad thing about the Economy batteries is they either have to come from an Interstate All Battery Center, or off an Interstate Truck, but I have a shop on the way home. Honestly, if a battery doesn't fail fairly quickly, it should give you a good life. I got 4 years out of the last set in the Excursion, and with all reports I have read, I was EXTREMELY lucky to get 4 years from a set of batteries in a 6.0. The 6.0 is very ******* batteries, and most guys report getting about 3 years from a set before they start to go south. This is even with the more expensive batteries also, like the DieHard Golds, and even the high end (not AGM) Interstates. The one in my Jetta would start it with a failing starter (The battery confirmed it was the starter) without help, the battery that was in there needed a boost to start the car with the same starter. I look at it this way, I can buy 2 or 3 sets of Economy batteries for the price of 1 set with a warranty that will get me 20 bucks of my next $100+ battery...... I will stick with the Interstate Economys.... they have not caused me any issues........

I like Interstates, some of my gassers are running them now. Which ones are the economy? I've run both the green-tops and the gray-tops.

Batteries have gotten so expensive in recent years I only get the Die Hards for the diesels anymore. Even the cheap-o batteries almost doubled in price. The low end $29 battery at Wal Mart is now $49.

Cost-Co batteries, avoid them!

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I think it's obvious at this point since a couple have mentioned it, but 31s fit fine in a bullnose.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my rig, it had the Kirkland batteries dated April 2009. Never had problems with them until I quit driving my truck everyday. Now batteries are toast because of repeated quick charging just to get truck started after sitting for a month or two. I plan on putting new batteries in rig as soon as turbo is installed. Even bought a trickle charger to keep charge maintained when it sits. Still contemplating on which brand to go with as well.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
We sell interstate batteries and I've never heard of the economy versions,

Ask the driver, he will know what they are. These aren't a common known product, and I have to ASK Specifically for the Economy's. I have stood there and watched them sell several batteries, and going down the options, not mention an Economy. I ask for an Economy, for an XXXXXXXX, and they disappear into the back room and bring me a nice black, completely unmarked battery. Punch it in for 40 bucks and carry it out to the truck..... If you KNOW about them, they will gladly sell you one..... but don't expect them to be "offered" as a selection. Mine come from an Interstate All Battery Center, where they sell everything from a tiny watch battery to a semi battery, they even have Interstate brand AAA, AA, C, D, and 9V. They also sell all the stuff you need to build battery cables, and just about any end to place on the cable. They even have lights, chargers, jump boxes and the like..... I would go NUTS in there if money were no object......

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I like Interstates, some of my gassers are running them now. Which ones are the economy? I've run both the green-tops and the gray-tops.

They are all black and have absolutely no markings what so ever. I have always had to ASK for them. If you know about them and ask, they will gladly sell you one, or at least my store they do. I have bought 4 in the last year for 3 different vehicles, they are getting to where they know me in there, and know I only want an Economy. The only reason I know they are Interstate batteries is because of the store they came from. If you were to look under the hood of my truck, you would have no idea where they are from by looking at them. They are not the Milky White/Green that you would expect to see. They are 100% black, except for the 2 grey lead posts.......

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
I'll have to ask the interstate girl next time I see her. The battery truck is here every three weeks.
We get the a, c, d, chargers etc from the truck too.
From what I've seen the "heavy duty" batteries are black, automotive white with black or green top (Megatron plus or regular Megatron).
You must be registered for see images

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The ones I see on the top shelf are black and look to have some marking on the top (unless that is just from the sun) and the pretty, colorful decal on the side facing the camera. Mine are 100% black, no marking, no decals, no ID of any kind. Not even something that says they are even Interstate batteries. The ones on the top shelf remind me of mine.... mine just have no markings..... I will have to see if I can get a pic on one. The drivers side has a cover over it from the factory, but I think the passenger side battery is fairly exposed......

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one of those batteries in my truck, which came with the truck, and I figured it was just some crappy cheapo. It has held up fine though.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just talked to our battery supplier, Empire battery, private owned but great quality, they buy from a good manufacturer. The interstate blem/ economy is out of date batteries, or returms that test good, no problems just likely a very short or no warranty.
He also said that with the very limited mining of lead as the ****** lead supply dwindles battery quality is going to suffer more and more. Even a few percent, as in 3 or 4 , makes a huge difference in quality.
Just passing along.FWIW.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember those particular batteries coming up when I was researching what to buy in 2010.
I passed because of cost. Please let us know how you like them in a few months.