Best 6.9 block

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
back to antifreeze in the oil and blowing white smoke... my truck, every time i start it up almost, especially when cold, blows white smoke for a minute or two, but when ran for 5 or ten minutes, only black smoke when under a load. but on cold start up, she blows steady white smoke and sounds like a dryer with rocks in it :)

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine had the same exact symptoms; return line kit fixed it. Except the dryer with rocks in it sound is always present at idle with the Lucky modded flywheel.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
back to antifreeze in the oil and blowing white smoke... my truck, every time i start it up almost, especially when cold, blows white smoke for a minute or two, but when ran for 5 or ten minutes, only black smoke when under a load. but on cold start up, she blows steady white smoke and sounds like a dryer with rocks in it :)

Does it miss? is there any way you can get a video of what its doing and post it up?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A cold motor smoking white till it warms up is bad injectors. A stuck open injector can make the sound of a rod knock from the motor. They can wash down the cylinders and you will see blue smoke and hear a knock... Time to replace the injectors but clean the top of the motor first... This area must be clean and dry. Protect the open injectors with the caps till you are installing the hard lines. Put the o-rings on the injectors before they are installed in the head. Top ring in the top groove then roll the second ring past the top ring into the bottom groove. Wear clean white plastic gloves and change them when they get dirty. Use some grease on the rings so the return line caps with install easily. You will feel and hear the click when they are seated properly. A 35 lbs torque is all thats needed. Any more and the copper gasket takes a crush and the next time they wont just come out with the injector. A little antisieze on the injector threads will ease the next time replacement....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A set of BB codes from either typ4 or agnem.... Just don't buy a used set or a rebuilt set. Gigure around $225.00 for a set of 8....

Pearl_Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smoke can be anything from bad injectors, bad pump, improper timing, or air in fuel. On mine, I installed injectors and replaced the pump and return lines, and it still smoked. Turns out the timing was advanced a hair too much, and it fixed it just fine. Starts and runs great, and gets less chatter out of that POS dual mass flywheel