bent front axle

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i went this weekend to put the new wheels and tires on got some eagle alloys and some nitto mud grapplers onle paid 450 for everything and its all new.. well thought is should get an alignment also.... after an hour and half of the mechanic trying to get this thing straight his boss came over and found that my front axle is bent so would anyone know where i can get one around Saint Joe Missouri if so any suggestion would be great

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What exactly is bent?

If you need a whole new axle, your truck should have a Dana 50 TTB. If you want to upgrade, you can look for a Dana 60 solid front axle. Go through your local salvage yard and find, thats where I would go.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah you can find the dana 60s pretty cheap if you know where to look, i got my kingpin style for 200 bucks, then i went through it and put it on with new leaf springs and 3000 lbs load boosters.

to check the gear ratio in a 60 just pop the cover off, turn the ring gear until you see a bunch of numbers then usually the last 4 digits are your ratio code.... i think a 3.54 is 46-13... but basically you divide the smaller number into the larger number to get the ratio

the conversion is redicoulously easy, the steering that should come with the axle will work

good luck!!!

Matt

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i have checked all the salvage yards around here for a 60 couldnt find one then tried to look for a replacement twin i beam and cant find one of those either so i am not sure were else to go to find one would deffinatly like a 60 but would settle for a 50 i just want to drive it again

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What part of the axle is bent? That is one good thing about a TTB, you can replace any one part of the axle assembly without replacing the works.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
You guys are out of your minds with $200 for a Dana 60. Around here its an easy $1300 for one, and my dad had a guy offer him $1600 for the one in his 94 project CC.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You guys are out of your minds with $200 for a Dana 60. Around here its an easy $1300 for one, and my dad had a guy offer him $1600 for the one in his 94 project CC.

Same here, they are priced so expensive its rediculous. I would love to have a dana 60, but they are just so expensive. I've seen them any where from $800-1500.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you found a 60 for $200 chances are it will be just a housing.

Really becuase my 200 dollar kingpin Dana 60 out of an 88 f350 is on my truck right now and it was complete (i put brakes and seals on it and painted it)...... do you need pics or something... i have the reciept from the junk yard to prove it...

i would never pay 1600 for a 60

the ball joint ones i can find pretty cheap usualy around 2-300 bucks the kingpin styles are harder to find. mine was 200 bucks. im considering parting out an f350 and i thought 600 would be ripping the other person off but it soudns like theyd still be getting a deal

if you can make it to cleveland tomorrow morning i will give you a TTB setup, i have 2 of them going to scrap along with a 6.9 engine thats a good core.. but tomorrow they go to scrap

good luck

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea, where's the receipt. I really dont believe you now. There's no way a yard will sell a D60 front axle for $200. Yards are even more than what I mentioned earlier, more like 2 grand.
You stole that thing. You're lucky you didnt get a bunch of sand, I mean really.
But I guess I dont know what you're area is like. Maybe everyone around where you're at just buys new trucks every few years, I dont know. But around here, everyone loves the older style Fords, and Chevys with the Dana 60 front axles. If their truck doesnt have one they all want one.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, where's the receipt. I really dont believe you now. There's no way a yard will sell a D60 front axle for $200. Yards are even more than what I mentioned earlier, more like 2 grand.
You stole that thing. You're lucky you didnt get a bunch of sand, I mean really.
But I guess I dont know what you're area is like. Maybe everyone around where you're at just buys new trucks every few years, I dont know. But around here, everyone loves the older style Fords, and Chevys with the Dana 60 front axles. If their truck doesnt have one they all want one.

:rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

Let me take a picture and figure out how to post it.

What do you consider a deal on a dana 60? I would not pay over 600. I might be parting out an f350 soon so now I know where to sell.

Everyone around me buys new trucks, because in Cleveland salt eats trucks like there's no tommorow. The newest truck I have is a 1996 and underneath is rotted to hell.

For $1500 plus you might as well find a parts truck with a dana 60 becuase you can at least scrap what you don't need and get some of your money back.

I work on school buses and I've seenmore rust on a 99 than southern vehicles from the 70's

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If I were looking into a complete Dana 60 front, with all the things I would need to swap it into my truck, and this is if I was in the market, then $1000 would probably be my limit. But I would be buying yours 9073 for a good $200, and I'll even pay for the shipping ;Sweet :D LOL . Seriously these Dana 60's are worth tons of money, just look at ebay, they usually have a ton for sale over a grand.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Haha yea I hear ya.
I was just BSing ya.
But you stole that thing. For my area anyway. But you see, the yards control the market. And the yard owners do not drive brand new escallades for no reason. They are very wealthy because they know they control the market, and when a business needs a part they almost always just go to a yard and pay whatever they want for it.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha yea I hear ya.
I was just BSing ya.
But you stole that thing. For my area anyway. But you see, the yards control the market. And the yard owners do not drive brand new escallades for no reason. They are very wealthy because they know they control the market, and when a business needs a part they almost always just go to a yard and pay whatever they want for it.

Thank the lord you were BS'ing me. I hate hearing about people getting ripped off.

The dana 60's good, but not 2000 bucks good unless its upgraded.

I know I got a good deal. The kingpin ones are worth more. The only thing I needed for mine was the trac-bar and mount.

Maybe one of these days I'll take a picture of the truck with the axle on it, it looks awesome.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Oh no, I wasnt BSing about the price. I was BSing you about wanting to see the receipt. lol Oh no, I found a listing for one even with a $2000 price tag.

I guess I've never understood the kingpin style and the ball joint style. What made the difference, special order? My moms 94 CC F350 has one that has what looks like wheel bearings in it around the ball joints. Is this the Kingpin style?