bent front axle

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really becuase my 200 dollar kingpin Dana 60 out of an 88 f350 is on my truck right now and it was complete (i put brakes and seals on it and painted it)...... do you need pics or something... i have the reciept from the junk yard to prove it...

i would never pay 1600 for a 60

the ball joint ones i can find pretty cheap usualy around 2-300 bucks the kingpin styles are harder to find. mine was 200 bucks. im considering parting out an f350 and i thought 600 would be ripping the other person off but it soudns like theyd still be getting a deal

if you can make it to cleveland tomorrow morning i will give you a TTB setup, i have 2 of them going to scrap along with a 6.9 engine thats a good core.. but tomorrow they go to scrap

good luck

If your gettin them for 200 over there, I'm comin over to get one or 2!

dairieman36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the drivers side beam is bent i tried to find that piece and i cant with out goin to the dealer

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
how can you bend that beam? thats the strongest one isnt it? Its got the pumpkin in it and everything!
You can get them out of LMC. But I'd take 9073 up on his offer. See if you can get him to send you just that piece. Or get the BOOB express involved.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I've never understood the kingpin style and the ball joint style. What made the difference, special order? My moms 94 CC F350 has one that has what looks like wheel bearings in it around the ball joints. Is this the Kingpin style?

The Kingpin axles quite literally use a pin to hold the knuckle in place. The knuckle rotates on this pin and the load on the axle is supported by it. They are extremely tough and simple in design. As long as they are maintained (greased) regularly.

The balljoint is like a glorified tie rod end. It has a ball inside that moves in a cup that holds it. It's not as robust as a kingpin in design. I am sure there may be some advantages to a balljoint but they are outweighed by the fact that they are more prone to failure.

Your mom's 94' would have a balljoint d60 unless it was swapped for the earier (kingpin) axle.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ironman, they are hard to find in junk yards becuase we dont see alot of one tons going to the junk yardm but when they do come in some yards (that i deal with) will selll it cheap, and some will ask alot, its all about knowing where to look,
private sellers usually want 600 or so, but the yard i deal with will sell them for 200, so it sounds like i should start stockpiling them lol

i bought mine last spring becuase i happened to be at the junkyard looking for something else and saw the f350 roll off the tow truck and then i bought it

i didnt really feel like putting it on until this month when my broken TTB wasnt working

dairieman

if i would have known you needed this part earlier i would have kept the TTB half for you but i already have the towtruck coming and it would cost a considerable amount of money for me to reschedule. are you sure the mounting bracket isnt bent?

for what its worth get on craiglist or somehting and find a good used 60 for it, ebay will also have 60s or consider purchasing a junk gas 350 and cannibalizing the parts of that

good luck

matt

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
how can you bend that beam? thats the strongest one isnt it? Its got the pumpkin in it and everything!

I had one on my 92 that was bent, PO hit something so hard it actually punched a hole through where the steering stop was. I didnt realoze it was bemt until I was putting the spindle back on, and the shaft was off center.

as far as used they ar getting harder to find. there was one on ebay , but the price was way too high.
Ive seen some complete d-50s go real cheap from guys that do a d-60 conversion.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
A d-50 is a 44 with 60 knuckles. I wonder if parts off a 44 ifs will work.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Here's a question for you guys, since some of our trucks came with a Dana 44HD TTB front axle, mine included, would it be smart to swap in a solid Dana 44? I mean would we gain or lose any strength, would it be cost effective compared to a Dana 60? I thought about it, but this would be the first time I've thought it out loud to you guys.....

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think it would be a PITA to put a 44 in. my buddy is doing a solid axle swap on his bronco and he has a 44 for it, theres no place for a track bar on his plus his has radius arms. so it will be easier for him. Dana 44's are are meant really for half tons and i dont think it would hold a diesel very well plus it would break the first time you actually had to use 4x4

just look at 44 vs a 60 and youll change your mind

the dana 60 is the best upgrade you do to your f250, it will pay for itself in durablilty.

the dana 60 will give you peice of mind

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Here's a question for you guys, since some of our trucks came with a Dana 44HD TTB front axle, mine included, would it be smart to swap in a solid Dana 44? I mean would we gain or lose any strength, would it be cost effective compared to a Dana 60? I thought about it, but this would be the first time I've thought it out loud to you guys.....

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i think it would be a PITA to put a 44 in. my buddy is doing a solid axle swap on his bronco and he has a 44 for it, theres no place for a track bar on his plus his has radius arms. so it will be easier for him. Dana 44's are are meant really for half tons and i dont think it would hold a diesel very well plus it would break the first time you actually had to use 4x4

just look at 44 vs a 60 and youll change your mind

the dana 60 is the best upgrade you do to your f250, it will pay for itself in durablilty.

the dana 60 will give you peice of mind

i dont neccisarily agree with the strength part. if the D44 ttb set up can work than a solid D44 would be an upgrade. it is simpler with less joints and not made of steel stampings making it far better in my book. while it is not a 60 it isent a weakling. Ford put solid D44's in older F250's for years. if they broke the first time you pulled the 4x4 lever none of our front ends would have lasted this long.

i think it would be an upgrade by simply aking out the goofy joints in the middle.