Benefits Of A Electronic Fuel Pump?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Go for it.
You already had your mind made up, just wanted to see if anyone would help ease your thoughts?
That's what I meant about being more flow through the pump at higher RPM. While those numbers are slightly low, I don't think it's far off. Ask Gary.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Our fuel system has much more "flow" than the engine can use to make hp and travel down the road. Approx. 80% of the volume of fuel going thru our injection pump and injectors is returned to the tank. These fuel systems use the fuel as an injector and injection pump coolant. It also is used as a lube for both the pump and injectors. Its amazing just how much fuel is actually injected into the cylinders during idle engine speeds. Compared to a gas carb engine is maybe around 10%. Our pumps do have an accelerator kind of pump too but its nothing like ones found on a carb engine ... I have no answer for why your fuel system shows a low pressure when the rpm is at 2000. As posted it could be a plugged fuel filter or even a partially plugged feed line in the tanks or in the fuel tank switching valve,.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I know of at least 1 or 2 confirmed cases of the mechanical lift pump failing and filling the crankcase with diesel.

The one that first comes to mind was 3 or so years ago... that OnDaRoad had one fail and cost him an engine......

Both have their advantages and disadvantages..... the choice of what you want to deal with, is ultimately up to you.....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A decision about electric or mechanical is up to you, the owner thats driving the rig. One answer is not for everyone. I have to agree with all that have posted comments.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Easy to please today Gary?? LOL LOL :angel::thumbsup:

Nope... Not at all. Having a bad day really but... See my thank you post and its getting better. Truck is nearly un the shade now so I probably will finish the wire harness repairs. May need a nap first...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Smooth as....something silky and soft....:rolleyes: Well I'm stopped dead by the condition of the corroded 20 amp fuseable link. So will wait for the wifey to get home. Then its shopping time. My plan is to move the link to a cleaner location closer to the solenoid lug. Why the hell ford decided to hide this down next to the battery is a horrible location. I have found probably 7 or 8 more links in this same area...:mad:cookoo They all appear in good shape.. Not going to pull on them and see what comes....

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks yall for they replies. also I doubt I have a clogged fuel filter but I am filtering fine... 15 micron absolute hastings filter from mel is most definely a restriction I would say but a necessary evil too.

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably has to do with why you can't get a N/A diesel anymore. People want there truck to start first crank.
That sounds like the main reason you switch to an electric pump. I'm not sure why you asked this question if you're already a fuel pump expert? Also, being naturally aspirated or not, has nothing to do with how your truck starts.

Reason number one we can't generally buy a new car or truck with a mechanical lift pump is pressures needed on the newer all electric fuel injected engines.
A mechanical pump could easily be designed with high enough pressure to feed a modern engine, diesel or gas, but electric pumps are better. OEMs started using low pressure electric fuel pumps to feed carburetors before fuel injection was standard. There are plenty of high pressure mechanical pumps out there. They choose not to install them on new vehicles. Even small and low pressure stuff like generators come with electric fuel pumps these days.

Edit:
The VT365 version of the 6.0L diesel has a mechanical fuel pump. 50+ PSI.

Last edited:

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
That sounds like the main reason you switch to an electric pump. I'm not sure why you asked this question if you're already a fuel pump expert? Also, being naturally aspirated or not, has nothing to do with how your truck starts.

A mechanical pump could easily be designed with high enough pressure to feed a modern engine, diesel or gas, but electric pumps are better. OEMs started using low pressure electric fuel pumps to feed carburetors before fuel injection was standard. There are plenty of high pressure mechanical pumps out there. They choose not to install them on new vehicles. Even small and low pressure stuff like generators come with electric fuel pumps these days.

No I'm not a "Expert" hence why I asked the question just wanted opinions and thanks to all the posted that's what I got.
What I was meaning was the general public couldn't handle having to wait for GlowPlugs or a Rig that doesn't have a turbo.

Can anyone tell me what I did to make everyone mad?
Started getting *** now in threads Jeez.

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what I did to make everyone mad?
You asked for advice, then ignored it and gave your own. It's a free country, you can do what you want, but people tend to find that annoying...

Don't get me wrong, I like the simple, all mechanical aspect of my '83 IDI - but I still don't want a mechanical fuel pump.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
You asked for advice, then ignored it and gave your own. It's a free country, you can do what you want, but people tend to find that annoying...

Don't get me wrong, I like the simple, all mechanical aspect of my '83 IDI - but I still don't want a mechanical fuel pump.
How old are you Kid?
You seem to want to pick a fight with everyone.
Done Responding.