Benefits Of A Electronic Fuel Pump?

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old are you Kid?
You seem to want to pick a fight with everyone.
Done Responding.

Probably older than you. You asked a question, so I answered. Obviously you didn't want anybody's advice here.

fordhorse

Reaction score
I personally don't like mechanical pumps anymore. I have had four of them fail and pump the crankcase full of fuel two on idis one on a gas engine and one on an old Oliver tractor.

mccall52

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our fuel system has much more "flow" than the engine can use to make hp and travel down the road. Approx. 80% of the volume of fuel going thru our injection pump and injectors is returned to the tank...

This may have answered a lingering concern I have about switching to electric.

So, the fuel pressure being generated by the electric pump won't 'deadhead' and overheat the pump, but rather any fuel above and beyond that being used (or not used) by the engine at any given point will be returned to the tank, sort of creating the effect of a fuel pressure regulator?

I appreciate your help.

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, the fuel pressure being generated by the electric pump won't 'deadhead' and overheat the pump, but rather any fuel above and beyond that being used (or not used) by the engine at any given point will be returned to the tank, sort of creating the effect of a fuel pressure regulator?

Absolutely. As far as I'm concerned, if you use a quality pump, and do a quality installation, then an electric pump is more reliable than a cheap autozone replacement mechanical pump. OEMs agree. There are no disadvantages.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, yes, of course a quality pump is better than a cheap piece of junk one.... Quality mechanical vs quality electric might be different.

OEM use of electric vs mechanical pump has zero to do with reliability.... Looks at how many industrial/equipment type engines use.... mechanical fuel pumps.... and they manage just fine. Has much more to do with system needs and packaging.

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a mechanical pump fail on me in my first truck. Filled the crankcase with fuel. It was within a month of owning it and I didn't know much about the truck, so I was checking oil level every couple days to see how much she used. Imagine my surprise when one day it was suddenly overfilled. Had no clue what happened, so came on here found the answer and bought an electric pump from genlighting. My truck now the mechanical pump went out, but it just stopped working no leaking. Had to get it running with no time to wait so put another mechanical one on. Ran out of fuel in the front tank the other day about 80 miles from home. Almost killed the batteries getting her to start on the rear tank. Came home and ordered an electric pump. Going on as soon as I get a free day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as a mechanical pump will do fine on a stock engine, once you start putting performance parts on it, there goes your 4-5 psi mechanical fuel pump...

electrical pump all the way. and as many GPH i can afford. a 35 dollar regulator can dial it back if need be.

Last edited:

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, yes, of course a quality pump is better than a cheap piece of junk one.... Quality mechanical vs quality electric might be different.

What I was trying to say is that there are a lot of cheap, no brand electric pumps out there, and these are not reliable. This might be why some people automatically assume an electric pump is somehow less reliable. A quality name brand pump is something you can trust.

OEM use of electric vs mechanical pump has zero to do with reliability.... Looks at how many industrial/equipment type engines use.... mechanical fuel pumps.... and they manage just fine. Has much more to do with system needs and packaging.
Most stuff these days comes with an electric pump, even equipment. Hell, even lawnmowers! But yes, electric pumps do make your truck more reliable - they fail less often if you install them right, and they make it easier to prime the system if you need to. Especially useful considering how many of these old trucks like mine will run out of fuel with 1/4 tank left. It's easy to do accidentally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online