Benefits Of A Electronic Fuel Pump?

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
What are the benefits of a electric fuel pump?
I've heard that the mechanical pump could rupture and send diesel into the crankcase.
Reason I'm asking is the new truck has a Electronic Pump(Facet)
and was kinda thinking about going back to stock. Not too crazy about another Electrical problem to deal with.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That is a very real benefit along with several others.
1.. You do not need to crank the engine a long time with you change a fuel filter or run the rig of of fuel.
This causes the batteries to last longer and the starter too.
2..You have instant fuel at the filter and the injection pump inlet. Say you have a small fuel leak somewhere and the fuel drains back to the tanks. All we do with an electric is turn the ignition on and wait a few seconds for the pump to change sounds telling you the filter is filled and pressurized ready to start. This usually happens in the time it takes for the glow plugs to get hot.

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Electric pumps are so simple - I don't see how that's "another electrical problem to deal with". Just ground it and hit the red wire with 12v when you want fuel. The cheaper pumps might be a little more failure prone than the stock mechanical pump, but, they are also cheap and easy to replace. :)

When I get some free time I want to install a separate electric lift pump and filter for each tank - this way if one fails or clogs I can still get home.

Black dawg

Reaction score
What are the benefits of a electric fuel pump?
I've heard that the mechanical pump could rupture and send diesel into the crankcase.
Reason I'm asking is the new truck has a Electronic Pump(Facet)
and was kinda thinking about going back to stock. Not too crazy about another Electrical problem to deal with.

A mech pump could fail in a way to let fuel into the crankcase, as it could on ANY mechanical fuel pump engine, Which almost never happens. I Just dont buy that as a legitimate reason to use an electric pump.

The electric pump does have advantages for priming or band-aiding air leaks. But filters can be filled with fuel, and leaks can be fixed.

Number21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A mech pump could fail in a way to let fuel into the crankcase, as it could on ANY mechanical fuel pump engine, Which almost never happens. I Just dont buy that as a legitimate reason to use an electric pump.

The electric pump does have advantages for priming or band-aiding air leaks. But filters can be filled with fuel, and leaks can be fixed.
If mechanical pumps were better in any way, then why don't any trucks come from the factory with one anymore?

The only possible advantage a mechanical pump could have is that they will pump thick stuff better than some electric pumps. Like WMO. If you're not burning that then this is not a concern...

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Probably has to do with why you can't get a N/A diesel anymore. People want there truck to start first crank.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i run electric fuel pumps for the same reason i still dont have candles in my headlights...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might add..done right it is a heck of a lot easier to replace on the road or in back woods than factory...plus the loss of 1 Olive!!!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Reason number one we can't generally buy a new car or truck with a mechanical lift pump is pressures needed on the newer all electric fuel injected engines. My wifeys 1978 Jaguar XJ12L had fuel injection and an electric pump because of the 35 lbs pressure required to keep the fuel loop filled and pressurized. I lifted the power wire to the pump in the trunk one day and that engine died right now. Most diesel fuel systems require around 45 lbs fuel pressure to get fuel to the injection type pump that boosts the pressure to the fuel rail to maybe 20,000 lbs. Some pumps increase that 20,000 to well over 45,000 lbs. Its very true our mechanical lift pumps last forever but when they fail I feel an upgrade in best for the starter and the batteries.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Icanfixitall how come then at 2000 rpm I see 2-3 psi factory pump and above 2600 im seeing .5 psi. I would have thought that psi would go up and not down with rpms. So my question is, is it ******* the ip to have that little psi? I know many other members who put gauges on there factory fuel systems have seen the same thing.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would expect to see more pressure than that at high rpm - perhaps the fuel filter is getting clogged?

I don't think actual fuel consumption at higher rpm is that much different, at least under no load, but there will be more flow through the pump due to higher internal pressure causing more flow back through the return lines. Would still expect more than 0.5 psi though, although i think anything that's not negative pressure will be fine. Would have to see the actual standyne specs though to say for sure.

Personally, I think the likelihood of a mechanical pump failure is about the same as an electric, possibly higher for an electric pump due to greater complexity. The electric side is simple, yes, but still has a certain number of wires, connections, switch(s), etc that can all fail, and the pump itself is a moderately complex unit with a number of moving parts to wear/fail. Yes, the mechanical pump can theoretically fail and dump fuel into the oil, however IMHO this risk is much overrated.

I have an electric pump (generic universal inline kragen unit IIRC) installed on the frame just past the switch valve as well as the stock mechanical pump. The electric pump is only used for priming or if I fell like it would be helpful (going up very steep jeep trail for example) thus giving the best of both worlds. Yes, the electric pump likely does restrict the flow some, but it hasn't been an issue in the 10+ years & probably 150k miles I've had an idi setup this way.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Thinking I'll go back to mechanical pump after this one goes out.
I have a brand new one to replace it with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online