Belt slips 1-2 ribs on ac

Armo

Reaction score
So far this has only happened 2 times in the past week. It will make a ticking noise upon inspection i noticed my tensioner jumping. As i watched the belt i noticed it would slip toward the front of the AC then slip back nearly aligning itself then repeat. Shut it down align the belt the ticking stops and it was good to go again. I dont know what would cause this to happen and felt i should try and nip it in the butt before i loose a belt on the road during a trip. Both times the AC has been off for both shut down and start up when this has occured.

Armo

Reaction score
Ive never replaced the tensioner but i had replaced the pulley on the tensioner and belt just over a year ago.

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the tensioner itself is wearing out it woulnt hold enough pressure on the belt allowing the belt to come off. I would try replacing the tensioner and see if that fixes your problem.

-Jordan-

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds to me like the idler bearing on the tensioner is headed to the fail mode and it's allowing the tensioner idler pully to "float" out of line with the belt. That would let the belt walk off the AC pully then back like you describe.

Quick check would be to release the belt and give the idle pully a shake to see if you have free play in it... also give it a spin and listen for rotation noise ... shouldn't have any... if it rattles... bearing is gone south.

Armo

Reaction score
I had a look over it with the belt off and all seemed tight on the pully and had no noise when i spun it.. The belt was off 1 rib again anyways the pully and tensioner seem to line up but i noticed the wear pattern was toward one end on the pully so i fired it up and watched the tracking. The belt seems to stick off the idler pulley toward the front by nearly 1/8" and it isnt wanderign its just stably tracking off the pulley 1/8". When looking at it you can watch the belt angle toward the front going to the tensioner then it angles back in going to the AC. Hopefully this isnt a wrong diagnoses but im thinking Jordan had it right and maybe the arm itself is worn a bit and causing things to twist a bit while its tensioning even though visually the pulley seems alinged. I havent ran out and bought the part yet so feel free to correct that assumption.

Armo

Reaction score
I bought a new tensioner with pulley an all metal one to boot that seems way beefier then what was in there. Sure as hell that was the issue atleast it hasnt popped off the ac yet or tracked on the tensioner funky. It was also the source of an odd metalic sound i was never able to track down on acceleration during certain rpms.
Once i had it off u could see the hinge was worn and wasnt straight with itself.
Thanks for the help everyone.