Behold, I am now a Dually.

DragRag

Reaction score
Here is the front/side shot you wanted to see how the tires fit under the bed. As you can tell, the bed is just wide enough. There is the passenger side box to, I'd like to get a drivers side also in the same brand so they match.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tires only look to be maybe one or two inches further out than the other truck. Doesn't seem right, but looks good.
Travis..

DragRag

Reaction score
I don't think there is a whole hell of a lot of difference between the two axles. Cal can comment on that, but I think it is about 3"s difference. Let me know if I am wrong.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tires only look to be maybe one or two inches further out than the other truck. Doesn't seem right, but looks good.
Travis..
the key thing is the frame width between the commercial chassis vs. the pickup chassis. surprisingly, the pickup axle just barely tucks in there.
here's a repost of the commercial chassis. I know it's a commercial chassis due to the fact there a towbed sitting on it now where the flatbed used to be.

Attachments

• SL372653.JPG
    SL372653.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 13
  • SL372652.JPG
    SL372652.JPG
    289.7 KB · Views: 13

DragRag

Reaction score
So is this axle a cab and chassis dually?

No, the bed was from a cab and chassis truck, the axle is from a dually truck that came with a bed on it, and 85' to be exact, and is a Dana 70HD. The cab and chassis axle is a little narrower, so the flat bed is a little narrow. It does just barely cover the tires though, any narrower would not cover the tires.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can't compare a stock bed to a flatbed nor SRW to DRW.
you can do soooooo much more with a flatbed/DRW combo for a work truck it's not even in the same ballpark.
if you have a use for either,you'll just know it and do it,and never look back.
the only down side is lack of traction and a hit on fuel economy.but if you make use of the DRW,you'll save trips,outweighing any hit on fuel economy by leaps and bounds.

looks good DragRag.
i prefer the full convert myself,but understand why some don't do it.
i was dumb at the time,and mistakenly was sold an axle with rear spacers.i wanted the axle.just didn't know better at the time.i'll swap latter though.

DragRag

Reaction score
That about sums it up on the dually flat bed vs single rear regular bed. The dually flat bed can do it all, can't do near as much with a regular bed when it comes to really needing a big flat bed. Tow capacity, and hauling capacity are through the roof with the set up I have.

The rest of the swap will be done soon. Towcat has some dually hubs for the front, I just need one more wheel to make a round six. I am going to stay with white, goes with the rest of the truck.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm fixing to do this to my Dodge. I see the utility being a big plus. A flat bed for me will free up a ton of wasted space when I have the camper loaded up so I shouldn't need to pull my little trailer when I go camping without the Jeep. I just picked up front hubs/rotors for a song and I can fit duals on my rear with no mods. The biggest part will be the flat bed, which I think I'll just build.
Travis..

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
really and truley you cant build a flatbed cheaper than you can buy them at least that is the way it is around here considering the price of metal and welding materials. My bro figured it up and without figuring in labor he came out barely anything less than what he could have bought one for when building his. the only plus to building one is you can customize it to your needs.